Troy Smith in his bowl game:

Passing: 4/14 35 yards 0 TD 1 INT
Rushing: 10 for -29 yards 0 TD 1 Fumble Lost
Combined: 6 yards 0 TD 2 Turnovers

Patrick White in his bowl game:

Passing: 9/15 131 yards 2 TD 0 INT
Rushing: 22 for 145 yards 1 TD 0 Fumble Lost
Combined: 276 yards 3 TD 0 Turnovers

Footnote: Troy Smith won the Heisman. Patrick White was not even invited to the ceremony. Is there something wrong with this system? I think the numbers speak for themselves.

Posted on: 1/9/2007 1:09 am
&@%!^&$*@
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: A Comparison
Gettin' Schmitty
From Monrovia MD
While I love Pat White, keep in mind he was playing against an ACC defense, Troy Smith was playing against a SEC defense.

The Georgia Tech defense held Wake Forest, the ACC champ to 3 field goals, WVU scored 38 against them without their All-American running back. Nuff Sed!

Do we have a three way tie for most over-rated between the ACC, Big Ten and Notre Dame?

New Betting line: How long will it take the Big Ten/OSU apologists to say it would have been a different game if Ginn hadn't gotten hurt on his end zone celebration after his kickoff return. tHE OVER/UNDER IS 5 MINUTES.

I had always told my players to hand the ball to the ref as if you had been there before and then celebrate on the sidelines with your teammates who did the blocking for you. This avoids stupid injuries. Remember one of the Grammaticas blowing out his knee celebrating a field goal?

Posted on: 1/9/2007 9:33 am

Pitt Hater
From Morgantown, WV
Any body who says that the game would have been different had Ginn not been hurt needs to answer this next question:

"Does Ginn play defense?"

"Louisville 44 WVU 34. We play defense in the Big 10"
--Ohio State Fan.

OH REALLY? How about the sound of OSU 42, Michigan 39? Didn't LSU hold Florida to 6 points earlier this year? WHERE'S THAT AWESOME BIG 10 DEFENSE?

Posted on: 1/9/2007 9:47 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Monrovia MD
AWESOME BIG TEN DEFENSES...MY ASS.

The evidence your honor.

Maryland scores 24 on Purdue. Normally it would take them 2 plays to score if the defense left the fiels...see the Wake and BC games.

Minnesota, Michigan and Ohio State give up 40+

The only Big Ten team I saw with a defense was Wisconsin, and Ark can't pass.

Posted on: 1/9/2007 9:59 am

Here for the Beer
From Ashburn, VA
The only other defense I saw in the big ten was Penn State. Tennessee had a pretty good offense and they held them to 10 points and even scored a touchdown themselves. But to say that they play defense is a joke. They may have played defense against each other but the two top teams in the big ten showed no defense in the bowl games. Michigan and Ohio State got waxed.

Posted on: 1/9/2007 1:42 pm

From Boone County, WV
Anybody hear that loud thud Monday night at about 12 midnight or so? That would have been the sound of Ohio State being knocked off their damn high horse.

I actually had an Ohio State fan say to me "Troy Smith sucks" then went onto say "But he still should have won the Heisman". I was like WTF is wrong with you? His ass just got embarassed on National TV.

Of course these damn Ohio State people will talk about how the Big East's schedule is so weak when you pose the Pat White vs. Troy Smith question to them. For these people I have a whole coal truck full of bullshit for you...Ohio State played Cincinatti (not to knock a fellow, upcoming BE member but..), Northwestern, Some strange team the same day we played Marshall, and Ohio University? (Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these..and feel free to add your own teams). Anyway you go about it WOW what strength of schedule there. I thought Notre Dame's was bad.

Hmm wonder where Buckfan is to debate us on this..ah that's right wasn't his ass banned for being..well an ass? Of course I wouldn't say a word either after that grand superior asskicking that the Suckasses received at the hands of a team who only beat South Carolina by 1 or 2 points. I think that stagger was probably chokeslammed out of the Suckass fan's step after Monday night.

And about the Big 10 Defense..whilst I don't watch a lot of this mathematically challenged conference's games...the ones I did watch saw those great defenses giving up 30 some to 40 some points. again..WOW what great defenses those Little 10 + 1 conference teams have.

Here's to the "top" Little 11 teams crapping the bed on the national stage.

Posted on: 1/11/2007 12:15 am

Suspected Punter
Well lets start from the top, yes we got our asses handed to us. Not sure what happened but if you watched any of the OSU games that was not the same team. Alf since your not familiar with the Heisman, its for the regular season not the bowl games. And wheelert would the WVU game had been different is your best RB was in the game? So how would the game not have been different if our best WR was in? I still think the current team is the best in the country, just not on that day. We got out played and out coached. Neither side of the ball was ready for the game, didnt matter who we played. But you shouldnt brag too much about beating an unranked Tech team who didnt even have their starting QB.

Posted on: 1/11/2007 9:40 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Baltimore, MD
Buckfan,

I don't blame Troy Smith at all. He was running for his life. I doubt that Ginn would have helped because Troy couldn't have gotten the ball to him anyway. I don't think the Buckeyes are that bad or that Florida is that good. I saw FL play a bunch of times and their offense sucked. I watched the Buckeyes a bunch of times too and knew that they were beatable.

You have to understand that the Gator Bowl was a consolation bowl for the Mountaineers, and it really showed in the first half. They played very uninspired and were awful on defense. However, it was impressive to come back from an 18 point deficit in the 3rd with an unhealthy QB and without your All American tailback against a good defense. After all, the Mountaineers beat the SEC champs the previous year. Playing in the Gator Bowl was a bit of a disappointment.

Posted on: 1/11/2007 12:17 pm

Pitt Hater
From Morgantown, WV
HEY BUCK FAN,

Does Ted Ginn, Jr. play defense? I thought not. 41-14. 41-7 after the opening kickoff. Thanks for coming. WHERE'S THE "D"?

The same OSU team wasn't on the field? More like the same opposition wasn't on the field.

About the Gator Bowl, we'll brag all we want because we WON. Once our coaches finally got a clue and realized Calvin Johnson wasn't going to be stopped, we went after the QB. 21-0 after that opening 2nd half drive. Thanks for coming.

The only thing I would agree with you on is the Heisman. Troy Smith is a class act, a leader, and a great player. I have no problem with him getting it, especially since that ass Brady Quinn didn't.

I've been hearing alot about top Fives now, heres mine:\

1. Florida, 2. LSU, 3. USC, 4. Boise State, 5. Louisville.

I would give Louisville #4, but that team from Idaho didn't lose this season.

Posted on: 1/11/2007 12:54 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Monrovia MD
Oh please! Did you watch Ball play for GT this year? I was absolutely salivating at the thought of playing him. I thought their second teamer was a lot better than Ball. The only reason GT played Ball was senior loyalty.

Tough teams shrug off injuries. Remember WVU beat Rutgers with their 2nd team QB. Teams tend to rally around the sub and play over their heads for one game. Check that out as a betting proposition in college or the pros. It also applies to basketball. What did Denver do their first game without Melo? They won big!

Sure, OSU missed Ginn. That's because with him they were playing one fast guy against 11. Did you enjoy watching 300 pound defensive linemen for the Gators run down Smith in the backfield? Speed kills. Ask Michigan.

Posted on: 1/11/2007 1:59 pm

Account_Deleted
Wheelert-

I just have to ask... what 'always made you think' that Taylor Bennett was "a lot" better than Reggie Ball? Seriously. The kid got in a few times this year on mop-up duty after games were blown wide-open. Can you honestly say that you were watching Bennett when he stepped in against Samford or Troy? Or how about his 1 pass attempt against Virginia.

Seriously. I'm really curious to know what made you feel this way. Hair on the back of your neck? Were caterpillars outside of your home crawling on the trees in different patterns when he would step into a game?

Frankly, that is the most outlandish statement you could come up with.

So, I'm really curious to know what insider knowledge you had to make you feel that way. Do you go down to Tech to watch practices or something?

OR... is it just convenient for you to make a statement intimating that Tech's 2nd string QB was "A LOT" better than the starter just you can talk about how great your weak/boring league is? Or why anyone should care that you barely scrapped by a team that was missing it's leader of 4 years?

The fact is that no coach would play a player when a far superior player at the same position was sitting on the bench as a second stringer. If Gailey honestly thought that Ball was crap and Bennett was "THE BOMB" this season, Ball would have been benched. Or is your football IQ just that much better than the head coach at GTech? For what I can see, Bennett had 2 years to compete against Ball for the starting spot. And HE DIDN'T WIN IT. Ball may not have had the greatest year... but he still had a rating of 107 and came 2 wins shy of setting an all-time wins record at GTech... not to mention the fact that he's a good athlete. After all, Florida fans were crapping all over Chris Leak... and look what he pulled out of the hat.

So, if you are trying to cover-up the fact that your team barely won a bowl game against a team that was missing its starting QB and two CBs (a junior and senior, no less)... then you are going to have to come up with something better than: I always thought that Bennett was better than Ball.

Pathetic.

Posted on: 1/11/2007 2:28 pm

Suspected Punter
convEERted obviously dont understand football. "Does Ted Ginn play defense?" well no I guess he doesnt. But Having your most explosive weapon on offense causes the defense to use different coverage. And possible if Smith wasnt running for his life the whole game the offense may have stayed on the field alittle longer which, now here is the main part for you to undertand, helps the defense with things like rest and such. Plus the Florida may have had the ball fewer time so that may have helped. I hope this can help your novice football mind.
wheelert you can try and brag but outside the Big East did WVU play anybody to prove themselves this year? No not even in the bowl because you couldnt beat South Florida to get a good bowl.

Posted on: 1/11/2007 3:50 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
Your right buckfan we didn't play anyone outside of the big east. Maryland sucks, ECU sucks, Miss. st sucks, and of course EWU sucks. But who the hell did you play and don't come on here with Texas. Over Rated. Mich. Over Rated. And like any other year OSU dodges the upstart team of the Big 10 because for some dumb ass reason two teams could go without playing each other in the same season.

The funniest thing about the Debacle in the Desert was that the local Columbus media went straight into Bluejackets mode first thing Tuesday morning. What a great day Monday was thank you Fla. and f*ck you suckeyes

Posted on: 1/11/2007 5:17 pm

I-79 Alumni

Pitt Hater
From Beckley, West Virginia
Florida vs. LSU will be interesting to watch next season. Just throwing that out there.

Felt pretty good to see the Bucks go down hard. Florida was way too quick for OSU, especially on D. Make fun of WVU because they only beat GT by 3 points all you want. At least we won a bowl game, and we shut the Jackets out in the 2nd half to do so. When your secondary sucks and you're playing against an All-American, Biletnikoff-winning WR, that's a feat.

Oh, and the Big East isn't such a bad conference after all:
SAGARIN RATINGS
The computers also thought highly of the Big East this year. The conference finished second in the Sagarin rankings behind only the Southeastern Conference.

The SEC was the top overall conference with an 81.60 ranking, which was slightly ahead of the Big East’s 79.57 mark. Rounding out the top six were the Pac 10 (78.78), ACC (75.49), Big Ten (74.89) and the Big 12 (74.34).

All eight Big East teams were ranked among the Top 75 teams in the country – the only conference that can boast that. Louisville finished fifth, followed by West Virginia (10), Rutgers (12), South Florida (31), Cincinnati (43), Pitt (45), Syracuse (66) and Connecticut (73).

Posted on: 1/11/2007 8:17 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Baltimore, MD
Stanker,

Regggie Ball sucks and GT and he lost games for them. However, he led GT back from a 13 point deficit past the lowly terps this year.

BTW, in case you've forgotten, WVU humiliated MD last year and it will be even worse this year with a new and equally suck ass QB behind center for MD.

Also, congratulations on that home loss to unranked Miami in B-Ball. Keep on suckin'!!!!! :finger :finger

Posted on: 1/12/2007 6:18 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Baltimore, MD
Buckfan,

South Florida squeaked one out against our beat up team. I guarantee you we wouldn't have been humiliated against Florida like you guys did. The Buckeyes made a sucky FL offense look that the Indy Colts. Cincinatti even gave the Suckeyes fits until they started turning the ball over in the 4th in the regular season.

Your team and conference was really over rated. You had a lot of nerve coming in here with your arrogant attitude when everything was going your way. If only we hadn't had those 2 losses, the Mountaineers would have drubbed you too.

Posted on: 1/12/2007 7:15 am

Staff Writer
From Elkins
E-gad people! I'm not sure which is worse...the excuses, the explanations for the excuses or the rebuttals of the explanations and excuses.

Bottom line: WVU won. Pretty it was not, but neither was OSU over Illinois or UMD over UVA.

Maryland won their bowl game. The team clicked at the right time. Just like FSU. Both those teams have every right to boast a thrashing in a bowl game. The rest of the ACC, eh, not so much.

Ohio State lost. Perhaps the Big Ten was over-rated this year, perhaps not. The only things that remain certain are that Ginn did not play the entire game and OSU looked sluggish. Trust me, UF is not THAT much faster, they just had better execution which creates the illusion of even more speed.

So, until next season or there is somesort of conference showdown implemented (as in basketball), we should all unite under the common banner: Notre Dame is O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D. Even Stanker won't dare refute that.

Posted on: 1/12/2007 9:13 am

Staff Writer
From Elkins
Oh, another note...Troy Smith would have looked like a Heisman winner against our defense. Hell, we made GT's back-up, who didn't show enough to de-throne an erratic Reggie Ball, look like Matt Leinhart two years ago. Until we meet in a bowl game or in the Regular season again, its all a paper and playstation battle--which we all know both mean squat in real life.

Posted on: 1/12/2007 9:21 am

Pitt Hater
From Morgantown, WV
Buckfan,

So, I guess YOU are the expert because you watch Ohio State Football. Dont forget that the Browns are a short drive away.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Ted Ginn's absense, even the way you explain it, had a MINIMAL effect on the defense. I'm so sick of this "The defense is tired, the defense is tired" nonsense from the losers. Your team didn't take care of business. Where was your defense at the beginning of the game when they had all of this energy that they lost? Where was your entire team after the kickoff? Oh yeah, in the humping pile at the endzone hurting their Wide Reciever that caused their defense to play bad.

I don't know anything about football? PLEASE--I know enough about football to think that giving up 41 points in a National Championship game is not good. After watching Michigan get pounded by USC, I was certain that your boys were going down. What was your take at the time, Mr. Expert?

Also, at any time on this forum, please feel free to use commas, periods, correct grammar and good spelling. If you don't, its just too easy to make fun of you.

Stanker, please dude, you know nothing about college sports--its so obvious. And an all-time win record at Tech is not impressive by any means.

Posted on: 1/12/2007 11:06 am

Pitt Hater
From Morgantown, WV
MarshallSucks,

Great post, good objective information. You'd kick all of our asses on Around the Horn. I'm (not) amazed that Big Ten finished back so far in the rankings! They have Northwestern, Indiana, Iowa (BARELY BEAT SYRACUSE), Illinois (PUNKED DOWN BY RUTGERS), Michigan State (BLEW A HUGE LEAD ON NOTRE DAME) and Purdue(PUNKED DOWN BY MARYLAND)!

Posted on: 1/12/2007 11:15 am

(1) 2 3 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved