We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 »

You're not going to believe this bullshit.
Pitt Hater
From Beckley, West Virginia
Rich Rod could very well be leaving West Virginia for Alabama. Look at this:

MetroNews Sports
Morgantown

Pat Forde, ESPN.com college football and basketball columnist, reported on Friday’s “The Dan Patrick Show” on ESPN Radio that West Virginia University football coach Rich Rodriguez will receive an offer from the University of Alabama Saturday night to become the Crimson Tide’s next head coach. That offer will apparently be made after WVU’s regular season finale against Rutgers.

Forde’s revelation follows other media reports in the past few days which indicate that Alabama has now centered its attention on Rodriguez, after first approaching and then being spurned by current Miami Dolphin coach Nick Saban and current South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier.

Reportedly, Tide officials are ready to offer Rodriguez a guaranteed, seven-year contract worth over $3 million per year. The 43-year-old Rodriguez made $1.1 million last year at WVU, his fifth as the head coach of his alma mater. A native of Grant Town, W.Va., and a 1985 graduate of West Virginia University, Rodriguez signed a new seven-year contract with WVU this past summer calling for him to receive a guaranteed salary of $900,000 per year plus bonuses, and that guaranteed salary would increase by $50,000 each year over the life of the contract. There are also a variety of bonuses available, including an additional $75,000 for a Big East regular season title, $75,000 for a BCS bowl appearance, $25,000 for a non-BCS bowl appearance, $150,000 for a national championship and $10,000 for satisfactory evaluation of the team’s academic achievement, as well as various other incentives.

Rodriguez’s current contract at WVU also includes a hefty buy-out clause. If either the University or Rodriguez would terminate the contract prior to Aug. 31, 2007, the buy-out would be $2 million. That buy-out decreases to $1.5 million after Aug. 31, 2007.

Despite that buyout, several sources within the West Virginia athletic department have indicated that Rodriguez has said he is ready to accept the Alabama job, if offered, and that he’s already talking to members of his staff about accompanying him to Tuscaloosa.

To this point, most of the negotiations between Rodriguez and Alabama have apparently been done between agents and other third parties, so it does not appear that Rich has sat down with Alabama athletic director Mal Moore and reached a definite agreement. But all signs indicate negotiations are moving in that direction. There is time for either side to change their mind, but to this point, it appears likely that Rodriguez will become the next head coach at Alabama. An official announcement could come as early as Sunday or Monday.

If indeed Rodriguez does depart WVU, the Mountaineers will then quickly have to go into their own search mode, looking for a new head coach. Already the names of candidates are swirling; current LSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher, who is a native of Clarksburg; current WVU assistants Jeff Casteel, Calvin Magee, Bill Stewart and Rick Trickett, former Mountaineer assistants/players Duke Henshaw, Terry Bowden, Doc Holliday, Steven Dunlap and Bill Legg are some of the names mentioned who have West Virginia ties, but of course, there also figure to be candidates without ties to the state.

If West Virginia winds up searching for a new football coach, it appears that Mountaineer officials don’t want to make a rush to judgment. WVU officials have admitted that in the men’s basketball coaching search after Gale Catlett’s retirement in 2002, they pulled the trigger too quickly on Dan Dakich after being turned down by Bobby Huggins. Obviously Dakich’s here-today, gone-tomorrow act left many at WVU shaken, and even though John Beilein’s hire turned the potentially disastrous situation into a rose, the lasting impression on West Virginia officials is they don’t want to rush into another decision which is so important on so many different levels for the Mountaineer athletic department.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 5:14 pm

Re: You're not going to believe this bullshit.

From Boone County, WV
Well here's a quote from Today's Daily Rag (I was just about to post about this)

This comes from the highest source..Joe Manchin himself

"Well we need a new football coach.' So...yeah. Take that for what it's worth"

Of course this comes from an AOL Sports Blog where some guy claims that he knows someone very high up in state government. He claims Manchin said this at his staff meeting today.

The article also said Miami might be talking to coach Rod. (Of all places) A consultant working for both Alabama and Miami (same guy) HAS contacted Coach Rod but no one is sure rather it was for 'Bama or Miami or both.

Now if I was the Daily Rag though I'd be 100% sure before printing shit. I mean Gov. Joe could issue a statement tommorrow that says he didn't say that and throw this whole quote out the window.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 5:42 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Monrovia MD
I won't believe it until it happens, but if the rumor is true, bet the house on Rutgers Saturday.

LSU offense sucks, nix Fisher. Casteel's defense sucks, nix Casteel. Give the job to whoever recruited Slaton and White so they will stay. It has to be a WVU man with an understanding of RichRod's offense, so we can continue what's been going on.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 5:42 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Suspected Punter
From Fairmont
If he goes, which I'm hearing is likely, who is he taking with him? Pat White is from Daphne, Alabama. Could he pack Pat up and take him with him?

As for replacements, what about someone like Skip Holtz (shudder at the name Holtz) who runs an offense similar to West Virginia's?

Posted on: 12/1/2006 6:22 pm

Pitt Hater
From Morgantown
if Rod leaves I really have no idea who we're going to get. It said in the paper here that he was concentrating on the seniors rather than all the rumors but I don't know. The "LSU offense sucks, nix Fisher" part of that up there made me laugh pretty hard because coach Fisher's little brother is the coach at my high school

Posted on: 12/1/2006 6:29 pm

From Boone County, WV
If this Alabama crap is true (which it's just speculation..I'd still like to think Rod is going to stay home here in WV) and Rod does leave. I will be one of the first ones to go to the "Nominate a CHAW" section on the first page and nominate him.

If Rich Rod does announce such a thing this weekend (I'm betting on him saying "Hell no" but who knows at this point) I can gurantee you this..WVU fans everyone will rain hell down on him until he leaves. Then probably afterwards.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 6:41 pm

Party Machine
From Charleston WV
Rod is on the statewide sportsline right now. He says he is staying. His wife called during the team dinner in tears about the article.

He claims he only talked to his assistants about the Rutgers game.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 6:45 pm

From Boone County, WV
Jacob Messer is a blathering idiot. I'm hoping Manchin and Rod both light up his ass up real nice in an article or statement.

Maybe someone should give him a nice shiny CHAW for his reporting.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 7:00 pm

From Boone County, WV
Rod did say no on the Statewide Sportsline. Damn Daily Rag and Damn ESPN. Both of these outlets this evening made it look like it was a sure thing that Rich Rod was gone.

What jackasses...Daily Rag as we've said before you damn bunch of idiots need to quit spreading rumors. You even had me worried this time throwing around supposeded Joe Manchin quotes (this means YOU Jacob Messer)

Posted on: 12/1/2006 7:12 pm

Suspected Punter
From Fairmont
I'm hearing now that Alabama is taking John Beilein and Rich Rod in a package deal and West Virginia is going to hire Lou Holtz...

I hate this crap...Pat Forde went off on the Paul Finebaum show against MetroNews:

http://www.finebaum.com/media/interviews/20061201Pat_Forde.wax

Posted on: 12/1/2006 7:19 pm

Pitt Hater
This is such bullshit. Hey Beast, I'll beat you to the CHAW nom for Rich Rod if he leaves. We bought posterboard a little while ago, and we're gonna make signs for him. My roommates are in band, too, so we're giving the signs to one of my roommie's brother. He's in the upper deck, though, so... lol.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 7:48 pm

Suspected Punter
From Fairmont
WV MetroNews has posted the audio from RichRod's denial of accepting the Alabama job...he sounded pretty pissed:

http://www.wvmetronews.com/index_fors ... ayfullstory&storyid=17521

I don't know if this is the final word on it but I would say nothing is a "done deal"

Posted on: 12/1/2006 9:17 pm

WMITC
From Eastern Panhandle, WV
I assure you folks, if Rod does leave, he won't need to win the CHAW- he'll win the RRAW... lol

As is though, looks like it was just speculation, rumors, and really, really, REALLY bad reporting by MetroNews to fire all of this up. I'm not sure of what journalistic integrity MetroNews had before, but it's hurting big time now just because they wanted to be the ones that broke the story.

There's a reason you wait for confirmation before you run with something like this- so you don't get left looking like a bunch of incompetent jerkoffs.

PS- http://www.wemustignitethiscouch.com/ ... g/details.php?blog_id=169

Posted on: 12/1/2006 9:18 pm

Old School
From Chicago, IL

Posted on: 12/1/2006 11:01 pm

Pitt Hater
Dude, Coach Rod sounded pissed like hell when he called up Greg Hunter. I bet he would've jacked that dude's jaw if he'd been there in person.

It's good to have confirmation that he's staying. I had been sick to my stomach since I heard he was leaving. It's great to know he'll be here for years (and championships) to come.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 11:12 pm

Suspected Punter
From Clarksburg, WV
Quote:

Davis wrote:
ESPN says he's staying now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2683114

Every WVU fan can resume breathing now lol i hope its not like this everytime Coach Rod is mentioned on teams wish list for head coaches

Posted on: 12/1/2006 11:20 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
hahahahahahahahahaha!

I tell you what, this guy Hunter's career is over in West Virginia. He better crawl under a rock somewhere, or move in with Stanker. Everybody knows Willy don't pull no punches. If I ever get close enough to this clown, I'll start out by spittin in his eye and then lay him out. The best thing that will come from this is RichRod is going to be soooooo pissed tomorrow... How pissed? We're going to beat the dog snot out of Rutgers. This whole thing sounds like a conspiracy to demoralize the team before the game. A source inside the athletic department? Who's athletic department. Rutgers?

Misinformation. Ain't it grand?

Posted on: 12/1/2006 11:25 pm

From Boone County, WV
The damn media about ruined another coach's reputation at WVU. I just listened to the Rich Rod call. He sounded extremely pissed off at the people who started this crap and I don't blame him (I believe "they should be taken to task" is what is said)

Jacob Messer and the Daily Rag is what caused a lot of this in this area using and unconfirmed Joe Manchin quote. I mean who doesn't start wondering about it when the highest ranking State official is quoted.

If I knew Rich Rod's email address..I would send him Jacob Messer's name along with a link to the article. (You can read it here www.dailymail.com ) So he can personally bawl him out. And before folk go bashing Joe Manchin...he didn't start this certain rumor...it was whomever decided to use an unconfirmed quote in what's supposed to be a respectable newspaper. (We all know better). If you notice in my post with the quote..I had my doubts about it there too. An AOL blogger who says he had a friend that works high up in State Government? Ha!

I'm happy that he's not leaving. It's like Christmas came 25 days early. We finally have the answer that we've all been wanting.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 11:31 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Beast:

Chug one with me brother! We're going to freakin kill Rutgers tomorrow night. Will you be at the game?

Posted on: 12/1/2006 11:44 pm

From Boone County, WV
Unfortunately no. I could never come by any tickets

Chug one for me in my absence. If I could be there I would.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 11:48 pm

(1) 2 3 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved