We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 »

Real Classy - WVU
Account_Deleted
Here's one of the headline stories in the DC area today (clips taken from the Washington Post):

'All-Met linebacker Pat Lazear yesterday pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery, a misdemeanor, in connection with the heist of a Smoothie King store in Bethesda and will be sentenced Dec. 15, but his future on the football field remains uncertain.'

Lazear had committed to Ohio State. However, since he masterminded a burglary Ohio State had this response:

'Steve Snapp, an Ohio State associate athletic director, said the school had rescinded its scholarship offer and was no longer interested in Lazear, a 6-foot-2, 225-pound senior.

"Our position all along is we would not recruit a young man, or woman, who has been charged with a felony or convicted of one," Snapp said, adding it did not matter that the felony charges were dropped and Lazear pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor.

"I don't think there is any possibility at all of" a scholarship offer.'

Soooooo... it's now time for plan B for Lazear:

'Lazear also recently told Rivals.com that Maryland and West Virginia were among the schools with which he had been in contact. West Virginia assistant coach Herb Hand confirmed the school continues to recruit Lazear and has made the player a scholarship offer, but a Maryland spokesman said in a statement that the school "is not recruiting Pat Lazear."'

Hey, GOOD JOB WVU. WAY TO HAVE THE GUTS TO STAND UP AND SUPPORT THIS KID. Seriously, how desperate are you?? This is pathetic. This year, Maryland flat out released the number one D-Line recruit and MVP of the ARMY High School Game - Melvin Aleeze - because of his repeated academic problems and then a little issue with marijuana. That takes guts to do.

So, please explain to me why WVU is still persuing this kid????

Posted on: 11/30/2006 9:40 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Real Classy - WVU
Old School
From Chicago, IL
Not only are we recruiting him, we are offering him a lifetime Smoothie King pass if he signs up.

Posted on: 11/30/2006 10:16 am

Staff Writer
From Elkins
I heard a free permit to carry firearms was included as well. But of course, that is standard issue at VT and Miami, so I guess we needed to get with the times.

Posted on: 11/30/2006 10:30 am

From Alkol, Lincoln County
the fact that maryland was in the article proves to me that he was in discussion. real classy fairyland.. seriously stank, just shut up and leave, you had your fun, now go back to wankin or somethin.

Posted on: 11/30/2006 11:31 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Monrovia MD
Because he is 6'3" 240 pounds, kills people on the gridiron, has a B+ average, is a great baseball catcher who hits for power and average and has a bazooka for an arm and was the #2 heavyweight wrestler in the state last year.

Wasn't it Fairyland that rescinded the scholarship offer to Pat White? This will turn out the same. Thank you Fairyland. We and Penn State are enjoying recruiting your back yard. Believe me, if Ohio State can have Maurice Clarett, Marshall Randy Moss, and Miami Ray Lewis, we can put up with Lazear.

Posted on: 11/30/2006 2:09 pm

it wasn't pat white, but steve slaton. they turned down owen too i believe.

Posted on: 11/30/2006 2:25 pm

Suspected Punter
Well to be fair, Clarett was in no trouble when he was playing. When he got in trouble he was kicked off the team. We would have done alot better that year if he would have played but coach doesnt care. You follow the rules or you are out, just like Troy Smith was suspended last year. But no problem WVU can have out leftovers.

Posted on: 11/30/2006 3:30 pm

From Boone County, WV
Grasping for straws again are we Stanker? Heh heh

I guess they just pulled Maryland's name out of their proverbial ass. If I was going to make up a second school that was recruiting me I would say USC, Michigan you know someone like that. I definitely wouldn't say Maryland. Just because Maryland's coach says "We're not recruiting him" doesn't make it true.

And I'm not sure if I'd call him an Ohio State "leftover" apparently he was getting this scholarship until he decided he wanted a smoothie so bad he didn't want to pay for it. If it wasn't for that I'd say he would have been dressing up in a Buckeye uniform.

Besides it's not like this kid committed a felony. I'm sure that most of the teams in the nation have at least one player that has committed some sort of crime.

Posted on: 11/30/2006 9:51 pm

Account_Deleted
Here's a little vocabulary word for you:

scruples

You might want to pass that along to your AD.

Lazear WAS recruited by at least 20 colleges... however getting arrested on charges of armed robbery and conspiracy to commit armed robbery changes things a bit for schools that apparently don't have their heads in the sand. Alabama, Maryland, Ohio State, NC State, Notre Dame.... all have dropped interest in the kid. Heck, he had chosen OSU. Now what's left... who's scrapping the bottom trying to drag up bodies??? Yes, your WVU.

After all we're talking about a kid that was arrested on charges of providing a gun and dropping off one of his friends at a smoothie shop. The pal showed the gun and left the store with $463. Lazear and his friends then divided the money after switching cars.

DURING THIS PAST SEASON, Lazear wore a black ANKLE MONITOR so authorities can track his whereabouts at all times.

Is all this not troubling enough? Well, in 2004 the same kid - Pat Lazear - used a stolen credit card to buy a $130 pair of sneakers and received 90 days of court supervision.

Real quality recruiting there, WVU.

Gotta love those 'EERS... 15 minutes of fame on the basketball court and 1 "semi-intriguing" bowl victory... and look what you get...

Posted on: 12/1/2006 10:23 am

Staff Writer
From Elkins
Stanker, this is West Virginia, we know what a home confinement bracelet is and looks like. hahaha

And, they only keep track of you on your property by telling when you left your "fence". Other than that, the police trust you are just telling the truth.

Never been arrested, just for the record.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 10:29 am

Account_Deleted
I guess you all should be happy Lazear took a plea bargain - otherwise you'd be waiting a long time for him to get out of prison.

Look at this kid's photo:

Open in new window

I hate to stereotype... but this kid looks like he IS in prison. Well... I guess making this kid live in Morgantown for 4 years (if he can last that long) is almost like getting a life sentence.

I'm wondering if WVU sees some kind of marketing opp. here. WAIT! I know, instead of selling his jersey the school could see replica Patrick Lazear ankle monitors. You paint them blue and gold. Either that... they could sell blue and gold bars of soap inscribed with: "Don't drop the soap!"

Hey msaul37... you could buy one of those WVU Lazear ankle monitor when they come out. That way the Atheletic Department could track as you flee the stadium in 2 years when the "NEW" best team in Florida is pulverizing your overrated Mountaineers.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 11:34 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Baltimore, MD
Just because an assistant coach says that there is still an offer on the table means nothing. I think there is little possibility that he will play for the Mountaineers.

"Look at this kids photo"

Well, he is from Bethesda, MD.\

P.S. Grow a set, ya' little freak. What would you have done before the internet age?

Posted on: 12/1/2006 3:12 pm

WOW a guy with a shaved bald head-he MUST be in jail. seriously. come on, most idiotic thing you've ever said. and you're calling me out. wow, first beast, now me.

a few things:
wvu is superior to maryland

the big east is superior to the acc.

west virginia is a better state than maryland.

go home, grow a pair, get off this site, you have no life.

this is a WVU FAN SITE. WVU FAN being the key words.

not a pissed off maryland ninja turtle fan rant site.

if you want to rant on wvu, do it on your turtle board.

leave now, k thanks bye.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 3:43 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Stanker:

You forgot to take your Prozac again, didn't you?

I hadn't heard that the kid had signed a letter of intent, so you have no point ya' dumb-ass.

And, you mentioned one of the schools that had lost interest in this young man was Notre Dame. Interesting, isn't it? Notre Dame is a catholic school. One would think that they would somehow be the forgiving sort, more interested in helping a young man save his own soul. But, alas, they have lost their way. They have clearly exhibited their shortcomings by protecting homosexual, pedophile priests. They moved these guys around and hushed everything up. And who were these guys assaulting? Children. That's right... they got their jollies by raping children. Way to look out for the flock.

When are you entering the priesthood, Stanker? We already know you are a self-righteous little prick, and gay. You're perfect for the position.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 4:30 pm

From Boone County, WV
WOW Bald guys are now criminals? I guess I had better run when I see a bald guy coming now.

You're still ignoring the fact that Maryland was recruiting this guy too. Rather or not they are still recruiting him may be a different story..but as I said before why just pull Maryland's name out of your ass? If I was going to lie about someone recruiting me I would say Florida, Auburn you know someone such as that.

I'm sure WVU has a lot of recruits they're working on. As willy said this guy hasn't signed a letter of intent.

If I was you I'd be more worried about Maryland's recruiting..anybody who would pass up Slaton and Schmidtt needs their asses fired.

Posted on: 12/1/2006 5:54 pm

Suspected Punter
From Clarksburg, WV
lol WTF stanker are you the damn Moral Police now I personally think that if the kid plays linebacker with one of those ankle bracelets he will be one badass lookin dude j/k

Posted on: 12/1/2006 11:33 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
That's freakin funny!

Posted on: 12/1/2006 11:58 pm

Account_Deleted
Quote:

msaul37 wrote:
WOW a guy with a shaved bald head-he MUST be in jail. seriously. come on, most idiotic thing you've ever said. and you're calling me out. wow, first beast, now me.

a few things:
wvu is superior to maryland

the big east is superior to the acc.

west virginia is a better state than maryland.

go home, grow a pair, get off this site, you have no life.

this is a WVU FAN SITE. WVU FAN being the key words.

not a pissed off maryland ninja turtle fan rant site.

if you want to rant on wvu, do it on your turtle board.

leave now, k thanks bye.

Wow, the love has been lost. Even Beast has turned from asking advice and friendly banter to spitting venom. Am I being Mr. Moral? No. I am just keeping it real. And as for the picture, I can't help it if it looks like a mug shot - I could really care less if he has hair, no hair, a beard or red eyes. The pict. is what it is.

Let's see here. This definitely deserves some attention. First off, what is up with this "k"... is that some kind of abbreviation for the incredibly long word "okay" a.k.a. "ok"? Is it that hard to actually type the "o" and the "k"?

So, first off, you claim WVU is "superior" to Maryland. That's interesting. I'm not sure what measure you are using, but go to US News and World Report's University Rankings and you will clearly see the University of Maryland is a Top Tier school and the WVU is a Third Tier School. I'm not saying WVU isn't a good institution with some smart students... but the ranks tell the overall tale. Secondly, if you are speaking on a sports level, then go ahead and look at National Championships. Heck, MD just brought home ANOTHER one this year... and the Director's Cup Standings more than speak for themselves. Of course you will want to focus soley on football. So your team has a 1 game advantage in the overall series - woop-dee-do. Of course, football is where you'd probably stop your discussion. But, now that you got waxed by South Florida and the rumors are flying around that your precious coach is about to fly the nest... lol... it looks like the final story for this year has yet to be written.

Secondly, you claim the Big East is superior to the ACC. That kind of statement is really not even worth addressing. You mean the same ACC that 3 Big East schools left to JOIN back when the Big East actually had some respectability? Why don't you continue your talks on how the Big East can add some quality teams. In the meantime, keep dreaming.

Finally, you claim WV is a better state than Maryland. Now on what basis? Are you looking at levels of education? Um, advantage MD. Maryland has several cities where more than 50% of the population have Masters or above (the only state that can claim that). What about institutions of higher learning? Maryland has the University... Hopkins.. the Naval Academy. Alright, we'll move on from that topic. How about jobs? Maryland has an unemployment rate of roughly 4.5%... WV? Try roughly 6.1%. How about Gross State Product? West Virginia has a GSP of about $42 Billion. Pretty good, eh? Yeah. It is. Unitil you compare it to Maryland's $195 Billion GSP. Alright, here. How about Median Income. Maryland = 55K. WVU = 31K. Sports, you say? How about professional sports frachises. Let's see... WV has "ZERO". Maryland? Well, Maryland has 2 professional football teams playing in its state and 1 professional baseball team. As you can see... all signs point to Maryland, son.

So why don't you get off your high-horse and stop being a jackass, k? :finger

Posted on: 12/2/2006 7:43 am

Suspected Punter
From Morgantown, WV
As far as football is concerned, I do believe we are still in the top 25. We haven't lost you in 2 years, not to mention this year just kicked the shit out of you.

The ACC being a better conference, ummm..yea. I'm glad you can have 3 conference losses and have a shot at the conference title. That's a great conference. Big East also has 3 teams in the top 15. Go ahead and argue the ACC has 4 in the top 25, whoopie. They are 25,23, 16, and 14. Big East is 6, 13, and 15.

And you said our schedule was shitty, Lets look at yours. Maryland played William and Mary(and only won by 13), Mid. Tennesee St. (Won by 14), WV(lost by 21), Florida International(won by 4), and haven't won any game by more than 3 touchdowns against anybody in your conference(even the bottom of the league)!

Posted on: 12/2/2006 3:46 pm

Pitt Hater
From North Carolina
Gentlemen, this is football, not a race for the next Supreme Court justice. Lets face it. There's not many upstanding people left in athletics these days. To condem one person for what they did when they were 17, 18, 19 years old is foolish. These are kids we're talking about and not all of them are from the best backgrounds. Ask yourself, what did you do when you were 16, 17, 18 years old that you're not proud or, or would have been arrested fo had you been caught. It's odd that I'm responding to this today because on either Sportscenter or College Gameday today they highlighted the quarterback from Hawaii who was accused of sexual assault and breaking and entering and such (and was convicted on lesser charges) but he was friends and former teammate of Matt Leinart and we were led to believe that this was some heartwarming story of turning it around. I was a little offended by the story praising this idiot. But I did come to the conclusion that I don't know the whole story and who am I to judge this person. No one is perfect in this world the least of which athletes... (who are under the microscope more than anyone else) but everyone deserves a chance to turn their lives around. I don't anything about this kid being recruited, but if coach Rod is okay with him, then I'll accept that. Take a chance on a kid. If he screws up again, then that sucks... but everyone deserves a second chance.

Posted on: 12/3/2006 12:22 am

(1) 2 3 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved