We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

2020 - America has far from perfect vision.
Gettin' Schmitty
From Just barely outside the Beltway.
I am going to go ahead and make a prediction based on the circumstances as I see them now.

The situation:

1. Republicans voters are highly tribalized and entrenched in biased election districts which allow them to win in the minority. Based on the SCOTUS activity this situation will most likely worsen.

2. Democratic voters are angry in the same way that someone cutting them of on the freeway makes them angry. Rage passes. They are complacent and many of them will not vote.

3. Conservative lawmakers are galvanized either by their love of Trump or their abject fear of him and his voters. This is a really bad situation BTW - dissent is necessary in this country and the modus operandi of Trumpism is to criminalize dissent.

4. Moderate Democrats are just clueless. Just clueless. This is a fight for the lives of their party and all I see is restraint. They do things like changing the congressional rules to allow Presidential picks to be confirmed with a simple majority and eliminating the filibuster. This is why I am very against changing things like this simply for convenience. Well done, simpletons!

One caveat. Unlike others in this forum I have the capability to change my opinion when circumstances or individuals change.

And that opinion is:

Trump wins the Electoral College easily but gets a record low percentage of the vote nationally. Charges of voter fraud and the Russian factor will be widespread on both sides.

Posted on: 7/5 9:53 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 2020 - America has far from perfect vision.
Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Trump wins in an even bigger landslide. The dems are losing a lot of black and legal Hispanic voters, his already huge base isnt going anywhere and a bunch of Democrats that arent sjws are switching over. The dems simply dont have a platform that American voters dont want. They dont want open borders and illegal immigration, and that's all Pelosi talks about, throw in Maxine waters calling for the assault of Trump administration members and the logical members of the left just wont vote for them.

Posted on: 7/5 11:42 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Just barely outside the Beltway.
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Trump wins in an even bigger landslide.

Yes, semantics aside I agree with you.

Quote:
The dems are losing a lot of black and legal Hispanic voters

Again I agree but not due to ideological issues, more to disgust with the party of "Oh, i'm sure it will all work itself out"

I don''t like to use the phrase "crisis actors" as this is a dismissive that both sides use to invalidate dissent without actually addressing the conflict, but the recent "fiery" rhetoric by Pelosi and Schumer seem ingenuous at best. Like they're trying to be Trumpish and failing miserably

Quote:
his already huge base isnt going anywhere

Agreed, but I don't see his base as being that huge. I see them as being 20-25% and the rest of them are people that held their nose and tried to make the most of two horrible choices.

Quote:
and a bunch of Democrats that arent sjws are switching over.

ehhh...not really seeing any evidence of this. They may be leaving the D party but I don''t see either party celebrating in influx of members. The undeclared non party voter is growing. Good to see.

Serious Q - swjs?

Quote:
The dems simply dont have a platform that American voters want.

They may have support on some issues but they are currently impotent at pushing their agenda. That's where the displeasure comes from in my opinion.

Quote:
They dont want open borders and illegal immigration,

I don't think anyone wants these things but as usual it's an all or none choice. Polarization has destroyed rationality here.

Posted on: 7/5 11:55 am

Suspected Punter
From Florida via Lewisburg
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/14/politic ... attacks-russia/index.html

I think it is working. Russia’s intent is to undermine our democracy and create wedges between us and our allies. Sound familiar?

Posted on: 7/14 1:05 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

zwaaa wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Trump wins in an even bigger landslide.

Yes, semantics aside I agree with you.

Quote:
The dems are losing a lot of black and legal Hispanic voters

Again I agree but not due to ideological issues, more to disgust with the party of "Oh, i'm sure it will all work itself out"

I don''t like to use the phrase "crisis actors" as this is a dismissive that both sides use to invalidate dissent without actually addressing the conflict, but the recent "fiery" rhetoric by Pelosi and Schumer seem ingenuous at best. Like they're trying to be Trumpish and failing miserably

Quote:
his already huge base isnt going anywhere

Agreed, but I don't see his base as being that huge. I see them as being 20-25% and the rest of them are people that held their nose and tried to make the most of two horrible choices.

Quote:
and a bunch of Democrats that arent sjws are switching over.

ehhh...not really seeing any evidence of this. They may be leaving the D party but I don''t see either party celebrating in influx of members. The undeclared non party voter is growing. Good to see.

Serious Q - swjs?

Quote:
The dems simply dont have a platform that American voters want.

They may have support on some issues but they are currently impotent at pushing their agenda. That's where the displeasure comes from in my opinion.

Quote:
They dont want open borders and illegal immigration,

I don't think anyone wants these things but as usual it's an all or none choice. Polarization has destroyed rationality here.

I'm too lazy to quote individual sentences, but to the 20-25% and nose holder voters comment, while I agree with you somewhat about the nose holders, I dont see MANY changing to a democratic side in 2020 simply because of the Pelosi/Schumer/Waters brigade. I just don't see a lot of undecided voters voting for that platform when (opinion) most of them mainly care about jobs and taxes.

Sjw= social justice warriors,

While there isnt much evidence, I have seen the social media posts about people switching sides go viral. Hundreds of thousands of tweets and posts. May not be a lot. But could maybe Influence some crucial areas.

I just dont understand why Pelosi and Schumer went all in for illegal immigrants. That just drives people to the right side in my opinion

Posted on: 7/14 6:04 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

mountie44 wrote:

I think it is working. Russia’s intent is to undermine our democracy and create wedges between us and our allies. Sound familiar?

CNN is terrible. But Russia had ads against both sides, and Rosenstein even admitted that no votes were changed due to Russia and nothing of the election happened due to Russia.

Posted on: 7/14 6:18 pm

Suspected Punter
From Florida via Lewisburg
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Quote:

mountie44 wrote:

CNN is terrible. But Russia had ads against both sides, and Rosenstein even admitted that no votes were changed due to Russia and nothing of the election happened due to Russia.

The quotes are from Dan Coates, director of national intelligence. Whether it influenced the last election is debatable. I think it did. But that is over. The attacks on our democracy by the Russians is continuing and needs to be seriously addressed. Hopefully Trump listens and forcefully deals with the Russians. We will see.

Posted on: 7/15 2:43 pm

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved