We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 »

 
My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
3/14/2009 2:07 pm
From RT. 50
Posts: 793
Offense: looked outta rhythm the first 30 minutes which is expected with a new oc and qb and replacing offensive lineman, but they got rolling better as the game went on

Defense: gave up a couple big plays but over all Gibbys defense is plug in new guys and keep rolling

Special teams: dear god do not let Gary Jennings back deep on punts. We need to burn a scholarship on a kid even if his only contribution is he is a return specialist. We have been pinned deep more times than I can count over the years do to poor punt returning or lack of fielding punts.

Overall: I took away a since this team is fairly solid and will get better as the season continues. VT is the best defense we will face all year and their offense I would put top 5 on our schedule. If we play to our full potential I see us finishing 11-3.

Posted on: 9/4 2:33 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game

Joined:
7/21/2006 8:41 pm
From Boone County, WV
Posts: 12965
I'm not sure it's the apocalypse that some people are saying but there are things that need worked on. Grier played a good game for someone who isn't played in what 2 years? We had a few penalties in key situations that didn't help.

I think the worst part about it is the loss was to Turkey Tech.

Posted on: 9/4 2:46 pm
_________________
Open in new window Joe_Reporter: Hey Joe, you said back in October that you were going to jump over the Fonz statue in downtown Milkwaukee. So far there is no proof of you doing that.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
3/14/2009 2:07 pm
From RT. 50
Posts: 793
I agree some of the o line play was ugly, special teams weren't pretty, but Va tech could possibly win the ACC this year. I don't see us running into another defense as good as theirs this year.

Posted on: 9/4 2:53 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Pitt Hater
Joined:
10/21/2011 9:47 pm
From Richmond, Va
Posts: 1522
I posted my initial thoughts on the game last night while still in the parking lot drinking beers waiting for traffic to let up. I just don't see the negativity towards the offense or the play calling on that side of the ball. I feel like the defense played pretty solid minus a few critical plays and a a drive or two. The field position differential all night was a real killer IMO. We seemed to never start beyond our own 25, it seemed they were always getting the ball on their 35.

My biggest concern going forward is that Va Tech seemed to play a very conservative and vanilla game plan on offense but were still able to connect on 5-6 big-time plays. I'm worried what happens when we play a team that is willing to consistently attack downfield. Our DB's need to improve.

Had Will Grier played the entire game the way he started I'd be very worried. However I feel like he started to round back into form in the 2nd half. Even though he played better in the 2nd half I still saw mistakes like missing wide open receivers and some questionable passes to guys who were well covered. Va Tech was obviously tying to take away the rush and force us to win with a new QB. I don't think I ever saw anyone in their defensive backfield more than 7 yards away from the line of scrimmage. I felt like a lot of the short and easy completions were the equivalent of a run game. Crawford had one nice run that he was once again ee-so-close to breaking for something bigger and a ew other nice runs by our RB's in general but for the most part our running game was petty well snuffed out by their front 7.

This was an odd game for me because although we lost I wasn't raging mad about it. For the first time in a while I can say we got beat by a team that simply played better on that night. I don't think Va Tech is necessarily a better team or that they'll go onto being playoff contenders but last night they did just enough to keep us at an arm's length. Over the last few seasons we have all been able to look at a loss and say that a certain play, or the play of a certain player really cost us a chance to win. I didn't feel that way after last night's game. We had one turnover on a 4th down that didn't cost us anything. WVU lost last night because Va Tech did the little things right, like pinning us deep on punts and keeping the field position in their favor most of the night. Combine that with a few big plays, some lucky and/or favorable calls by the officials and that's their win. The two teams, IMO, played pretty even. They hit big on a few plays, so did WVU. These were two evenly matched teams on two sides of the ball, but Va Tech won the special teams battle and that helped them win the game.

Posted on: 9/4 4:53 pm
_________________
Quote:

RadioShark wrote:
This game has been so thisisridic!
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
12/1/2010 8:07 pm
From in your head...
Posts: 1190
Quote:

BeastoftheEast wrote:

I think the worst part about it is the loss was to Turkey Tech.


100%!

If this was any other game to power 5 team, it wouldn't sting so much. We just don't play rivalry games anymore, so when it finally happened, the outcome is very hard to swallow for me...

Posted on: 9/4 6:28 pm
_________________
i don't associate with haters, cause that's how motherf**kin gangstas be...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Party Machine
Joined:
12/30/2007 1:28 am
From Barboursville, WV
Posts: 706
There's an awful lot to be pleased about...but the outcome is bitter. The season will tell. It was interesting watching the post game pressers that both/all coaches were upbeat that both teams played well. Both Head Coaches pointed to fresh defenses were dominant early but that offenses began to wear the defenses down. Maybe all of this is just wishful thinking but I really hope this turns out to be an epic game between 2 really good teams and not 2 mediocre ones.

Posted on: 9/4 6:42 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game

Joined:
7/27/2006 5:02 pm
From Alkol, Lincoln County
Posts: 24645
the last time we lost to the castrated turkeys, we won the sugar bowl.

Posted on: 9/4 7:01 pm
_________________
remember, just because you can create a thread, it doesn't mean you should.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Pitt Hater
Joined:
6/18/2010 9:15 am
From SW FL
Posts: 1701
Special teams: dear god do not let Gary Jennings back deep on punts. We need to burn a scholarship on a kid even if his only contribution is he is a return specialist. We have been pinned deep more times than I can count over the years do to poor punt returning or lack of fielding punts.

THIS
THIS
SWEET BABY JESUS THIS

Posted on: 9/4 7:03 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
11/30/2013 3:05 pm
Posts: 803
I'm pretty optimistic, I think Grier is going to be the real deal, he was starting to find his footing and even with a couple overthrows and what not, he definitely hummed along well being out for 2 years. Definitely an improvement there. I think we'll get some more big play potential back with Simms as well, so that could help open things up a bit more for us. Defensive backs were awful though, and need to improve drastically before Big 12 play, otherwise the elite QB's in our conference will pick them apart. All in all, I think we're leaning more towards the good side than mediocre, I fully expect them to BLAST ECU this week.

Posted on: 9/4 7:43 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Pitt Hater
Joined:
8/16/2012 6:34 pm
Posts: 1572
Heartbroken because it was the Hokies!!!!!!! Refs sucked-obvious imop!!!!
Otherwise very optimistic!! Still can win 11 plus games!!!

Posted on: 9/4 7:59 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
6/25/2014 9:05 am
From Dunedin FL
Posts: 790
Quote:

thisisridic wrote:
Crawford had one nice run that he was once again ee-so-close to breaking for something bigger and a ew other nice runs by our RB's in general but for the most part our running game was petty well snuffed out by their front 7.


We had 221 yards rushing and averaged 6.3 yards per carry. I don't consider that being "snuffed out".

If anything, I wonder if we shouldn't have run the ball more, controlled the clock, and let the defense rest.

Posted on: 9/4 9:13 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Party Machine
Joined:
1/2/2010 5:02 pm
From Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 679
The touchdown before half time, VA Tech able to establish a running game and field position was the difference

Posted on: 9/4 9:29 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Party Machine
Joined:
1/2/2010 5:02 pm
From Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 679
The touchdown before half time, VA Tech able to establish a running game and field position was the difference

Posted on: 9/4 9:29 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Pitt Hater
Joined:
7/21/2008 9:57 pm
From North Central, WV
Posts: 2279
I hate that we lost. I think this team will only improve. I think we can be good enough that the Oklahoma teams are the only ones we will potentially lose to. This is the year we kick K St @$$. Not beat them, kick their @$$.

I'm loving our offense, and think if Grier stays for his senior season, this could turn into something special. Jennings was not so good on kick returns, but at this point he is just ahead of Simms for being my favorite receiver on the team. Our defense has some questions, but played well enough to keep us in the game while the offense was getting it together.

Grier struggled for the first 30 minutes, but still put up 370 some passing yards and rushed for 50.

When was the last time we were actually good at special teams? It's so frustrating.

Posted on: 9/4 9:31 pm
_________________
LET'S GO---------------------------------MOUNTAINEERS---------------
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Grant Ave. Warrior
Joined:
1/10/2013 12:14 am
Posts: 1096
It stings more because I hate VT so much. For many of us in the 32-40 age range we hate VT more than Pitt for what it's worth. I hate it cause we were better. I disagree with the assessment that we didn't lose because of mistakes. If you take away special teams, which you can't, and played 60 minutes 11 on 11 offense vs defense only WVU beats VT 7 out of 10 times. I think both lines were fine, our WR were excellent and RB fine. Linebackers were strong and the secondary wasn't great it also wasn't 2011 bad and they did make some booming hits. We got pushed around in the 3rd quarter but that was it, we were the better team for 70% of regular snaps.

We lost because of hidden yardage which is a huge part of the game. We averaged like 35 yards a punt and VT 45+. Field position on the punting game killed us, and that isn't factoring in returns/lack of returns. Also gave up huge return with all the momentum. We lost because of mistakes, plain and simple.

The offense will be top 10 in the country, the defense will be easily top 3 in the B12. The special teams, unless improved dramatically, will cost us against KSU, OU and OSU. You think we're winning in Manhattan or Norman losing field position solely in the kicking game like we did last night? Not a chance. It can get better, but it hasn't for as long as Dana has been here minus the Austin years and even then our return game was good but coverage was a disaster.

Nobody needs fired and I think we are good, maybe top 10-12 if we played 11 on 11 minus kicking for 60 minutes but the special teams are so bad they drop us from a team that could flirt with the playoff with some bounces to a team that is in the 20-25 range

Posted on: 9/4 9:58 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Pitt Hater
Joined:
12/20/2007 9:40 am
From Rockville, MD
Posts: 2418
How do we not have another punter?

Posted on: 9/4 10:01 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Gettin' Schmitty
Joined:
7/8/2008 8:36 pm
From Around
Posts: 7335
I think we can win some games because the big 12 is so weak. The conference did NOT have a good week. Luckily we have ok state at home. Hey if Ohio state can make the college football playoff with one loss to unranked Virginia tech at home then we can make the playoff with one loss to a ranked Virginia tech team on a neutral site away game.

Posted on: 9/4 10:23 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Pitt Hater
Joined:
8/21/2006 8:26 pm
From columbia,sc
Posts: 2245
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
I think we can win some games because the big 12 is so weak. The conference did NOT have a good week. Luckily we have ok state at home. Hey if Ohio state can make the college football playoff with one loss to unranked Virginia tech at home then we can make the playoff with one loss to a ranked Virginia tech team on a neutral site away game.


Well we would also need the Ohio State bias which I am not sure we can get.

Posted on: 9/4 11:39 pm
_________________
Conspiracy....It's not just a theory anymore.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Pitt Hater
Joined:
8/21/2006 8:26 pm
From columbia,sc
Posts: 2245
Quote:

wooddash wrote:
How do we not have another punter?


"Another punter?" I didn't know we had one to begin with.

Posted on: 9/4 11:40 pm
_________________
Conspiracy....It's not just a theory anymore.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: My thoughts on the Va Tech Game
Pitt Hater
Joined:
8/21/2006 8:26 pm
From columbia,sc
Posts: 2245
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:
It stings more because I hate VT so much. For many of us in the 32-40 age range we hate VT more than Pitt for what it's worth. I hate it cause we were better. I disagree with the assessment that we didn't lose because of mistakes. If you take away special teams, which you can't, and played 60 minutes 11 on 11 offense vs defense only WVU beats VT 7 out of 10 times. I think both lines were fine, our WR were excellent and RB fine. Linebackers were strong and the secondary wasn't great it also wasn't 2011 bad and they did make some booming hits. We got pushed around in the 3rd quarter but that was it, we were the better team for 70% of regular snaps.

We lost because of hidden yardage which is a huge part of the game. We averaged like 35 yards a punt and VT 45+. Field position on the punting game killed us, and that isn't factoring in returns/lack of returns. Also gave up huge return with all the momentum. We lost because of mistakes, plain and simple.

The offense will be top 10 in the country, the defense will be easily top 3 in the B12. The special teams, unless improved dramatically, will cost us against KSU, OU and OSU. You think we're winning in Manhattan or Norman losing field position solely in the kicking game like we did last night? Not a chance. It can get better, but it hasn't for as long as Dana has been here minus the Austin years and even then our return game was good but coverage was a disaster.

Nobody needs fired and I think we are good, maybe top 10-12 if we played 11 on 11 minus kicking for 60 minutes but the special teams are so bad they drop us from a team that could flirt with the playoff with some bounces to a team that is in the 20-25 range


I agree with you. This loss was on our special teams. Will and company did enough to win, and the defense would have not allowed 31 points had it not been for the fact that VT kept starting nearly all of their possessions near mid field.

Posted on: 9/4 11:43 pm
_________________
Conspiracy....It's not just a theory anymore.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 



(1) 2 3 »




Login
Username:

Password:

remember me





Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved