We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22)

Re: WVU Football 2018 Recruiting Thread
Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
https://theclemsoninsider.com/2018/06/ ... look-at-west-virginia-te/

Kids getting some interest from D1 programs but is off our radar? You gotta keep the limited talent we got in state if you want to be successful.

Posted on: 6/2 2:49 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Name the last tight end who was an integral part of our offense.

Posted on: 6/2 10:26 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
Tyler Urban was a HUGE piece of the Holgy system and our success. He was one of our more sure handed receivers and a reliable outlet when we played good teams (e.g., LSU).

Redzone success has suffered lately. Anyone who doesn't realize the advantage of big bodied TEs from a schematic viewpoint doesn't know much about football. The flexibility of someone who can be a blocker and pass catcher gives you options from a play calling standpoint. It also takes away options from a defense's play calling because the delayed route is always a possibility with a RPO.

Check what Kliff did with Amaro in 2013. Took an decent TE to AA status and 1st round pick. TEs can (and do) work in the air raid, if used properly.

Holgy realizes this. That why he chased Wesco and brought in the kid from Miami. We're looking for a good TE. Just haven't found one.

Posted on: 6/3 10:30 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

DirtyDubVee wrote:
Tyler Urban was a HUGE piece of the Holgy system and our success. He was one of our more sure handed receivers and a reliable outlet when we played good teams (e.g., LSU).

Redzone success has suffered lately. Anyone who doesn't realize the advantage of big bodied TEs from a schematic viewpoint doesn't know much about football. The flexibility of someone who can be a blocker and pass catcher gives you options from a play calling standpoint. It also takes away options from a defense's play calling because the delayed route is always a possibility with a RPO.

Check what Kliff did with Amaro in 2013. Took an decent TE to AA status and 1st round pick. TEs can (and do) work in the air raid, if used properly.

Holgy realizes this. That why he chased Wesco and brought in the kid from Miami. We're looking for a good TE. Just haven't found one.

Yup agreed, Urban only may have had 2 TDs and 200+ receiving yards his Senior year, but he did help open up the offense a bit, and he obviously wasn't too shabby if he's still playing in the NFL.

It'd be great to have a couple back-up options for TDs in the red-zone, Sills is a beast, and we have tall receivers, but a little 3-4 yard dump off to a TE is still almost unstoppable, and our red zone production has been poor to say the least.

I think Jovani Haskins will be fun to watch this season, if Holgy can get Spavital's head out of his ass, he'll be able to utilize a lot of new looks that could keep some of our Big 12 opponents off guard, I'm hoping we keep a lot of em hidden until necessary.

Posted on: 6/3 2:55 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Quote:

FL77Mounty wrote:
Name the last tight end who was an integral part of our offense.

My point was that when I think of our offense, "dominant tight end" doesn't jump out and scream at me. I'm not sure 4 or 5 star tight ends see it any differently.

I don't object to getting or having a prolific TE, just making the point that I think with our present schemes, from a prospect's point of view, we're better known for producing WR's or DB's.

Posted on: 6/3 5:00 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
Anthony Becht

Posted on: 6/4 12:15 am

Eat Shit Pitt

WMITC
From Here
^ This.

Posted on: 6/4 8:13 am

Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
But he isn't a 4-5 star. He is not even rated according to 24/7.

If one of the top teams in the country can find its way to southern WV for an unranked recruit but our own staff is oblivious and isn't showing interest, it's a bad sign about our ability to recruit our own backyard.

I love Dana. I'm a Dana guy. But this is not a good look. If I recall correctly, Stew visited every HS in WV every year. It was a policy of his. This type of policy might better help us snag some of the instate talent.

Part of the formula for our success is that we MUST keep the limited talent in-state. We cannot afford to miss out on our own kids.

A few months away. Ready to talk about actual football again.

Posted on: 6/4 10:53 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
Anthony Becht

That's who I thought of. And before that...Jim Braxton?

Posted on: 6/4 2:27 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Quote:

DirtyDubVee wrote:
But he isn't a 4-5 star. He is not even rated according to 24/7.

If one of the top teams in the country can find its way to southern WV for an unranked recruit but our own staff is oblivious and isn't showing interest, it's a bad sign about our ability to recruit our own backyard.

I love Dana. I'm a Dana guy. But this is not a good look. If I recall correctly, Stew visited every HS in WV every year. It was a policy of his. This type of policy might better help us snag some of the instate talent.

Part of the formula for our success is that we MUST keep the limited talent in-state. We cannot afford to miss out on our own kids.

A few months away. Ready to talk about actual football again.

I get what you're saying, to a degree, about in-state recruits. On the other hand, I'd rather have a 3-star from out of state than an unranked from in-state. This kid, as you said, isn't even ranked, and my point was we're not exactly a tight end destination, anyway...at least, not yet..

I get what you're saying 100% about being ready to talk about actual football!

Posted on: 6/4 2:31 pm

Suspected Punter
This kid is the second WV HS TE in the 2019 cycle with big boy interest. Brenton Strange from Parkersburg already has offers from Rutgers and Purdue. I doubt WVU offers either of them.

Why? We don't need TEs. We have a redshirt senior in Wesco, a redshirt sophomore in Haskins, and two true freshmen in Banks and O'Laughlin. We have only offered two TEs for the whole 2019 cycle, and we aren't getting either of them. With the recent additions, it isn't a priority. There are greater needs at almost every other roster spot.

I hate to see homegrown kids go elsewhere, but this is just one of those cases of bad timing. If this were last year, we would be all over both of them.

Posted on: 6/4 4:44 pm

WMITC
From Here
Quote:

FL77Mounty wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
Anthony Becht

No. Mark Raugh was one of Oliver Luck's favorite receivers. He led the team in catches in 1981 and is 13th all-time for catches in a season.

We've had several good ones since Braxton played TE his senior year (1970), including Nate Stephens, Randy Swinson, Mark Raugh, Keith Winn, Sean Berton, Lovett Purnell and Will Johnson.

Posted on: 6/4 7:31 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Not doubting we've had some good ones, and you're absolutely right about Raugh, I forgot him.

Would you consider the rest of your list as "integral"?

I loved Randy Swinson (RIP) and will never forget the catch in the '75 Pitt game to set up THE field goal, but he had 19 catches and 1 touchdown his sophomore and junior years, 25 catches and no TD's his senior year.

BTW, different times...he was listed at 6'2" and 205 lbs...

Posted on: 6/5 9:24 am

WMITC
From Here
Quote:

FL77Mounty wrote:
Would you consider the rest of your list as "integral"?

Well Mark Raugh certainly was. He, Berton, Purnell and Johnson all played professionally, so whether they caught the ball a lot or just made a lot of blocks, they were good enough to play on Sundays.

Is that integral? You decide for yourself.

Posted on: 6/5 12:44 pm

WVU adds 9 walk-ons to 2018 class
Noob
From Swedesboro, NJ
https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virginia ... ountaineer-football-team/

With this latest batch of new additions, West Virginia’s football roster now number 120 players. Approximately 75 of them are on scholarship.

Didn't know 6 on 6 was a real thing..

Posted on: 7/2 8:12 am

Re: WVU adds 9 walk-ons to 2018 class
Pitt Hater
From columbia,sc
I actually like this idea of looking outside of the normal channels for guys like like this. Just because a guy comes from a small school that plays 6 on 6, and another comes from a school that didn't have a football program, dos not mean that either cannot be a star. I would bet that the 6 on 6 player is tough. He would be used to being on the field nearly the entire game.

The soccer player should have a strong and accurate leg.

These guys should come in and be motivated.

Posted on: 7/2 8:26 am

Pitt Hater
From Frederick, MD
Quote:

Sane wrote:
Quote:

FL77Mounty wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
Anthony Becht

No. Mark Raugh was one of Oliver Luck's favorite receivers. He led the team in catches in 1981 and is 13th all-time for catches in a season.

We've had several good ones since Braxton played TE his senior year (1970), including Nate Stephens, Randy Swinson, Mark Raugh, Keith Winn, Sean Berton, Lovett Purnell and Will Johnson.

I had Pysch class with Mark Raugh. Nice guy. He actually showed up to class and did the work.

Posted on: 7/2 11:34 am

Obama: We will put a man in your daughter's restroom.

Suspected Punter
Savannah, GA WR Winston Wright becomes the 7th commit for the 2019 class.

Posted on: 7/2 7:03 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Eastern WV
Quote:

professeer wrote:

He looks pretty fast. Hopefully he puts on some weight this year (5'11" 154lbs). It also sounds like he really wants to be hear even after he visited a couple of other schools.

https://247sports.com/college/west-vir ... -West-Virginia-119463738/

Posted on: 7/2 9:03 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

BlueShark wrote:
Quote:

professeer wrote:

He looks pretty fast. Hopefully he puts on some weight this year (5'11" 154lbs). It also sounds like he really wants to be hear even after he visited a couple of other schools.

https://247sports.com/college/west-vir ... -West-Virginia-119463738/

Yeah definitely needs to grow a bit in this next year weight wise, but a decent enough offer sheet, Illinois, Iowa State, UCF, USF, Wake, and FAU. Still has a whole year to improve as well, but I'll definitely take anybody that's excited to be in Morgantown.

Posted on: 7/2 11:49 pm

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22)

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved