From Fairmont
They beat Iowa State by 2 during year

Posted on: 3/18 7:07 pm

Re: Zags discussion
Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont

Jeff Goodman
ESPN Insider

When I polled coaches earlier in the season, Huggins and West Virginia were the team that most didn't want to play in March -- especially on short turn like this. So difficult to prepare for this defensive pressure.

Posted on: 3/18 9:50 pm

Pitt Hater
From austin, tx
538 makes Gonzaga the overall favorite with a 2/3s chance of defeating WVU. Interestingly, if WVU survives the Zags, 538 make WVU a (very) slight favorite in each additional round. Sagarin rates Gonzaga # 1 overall, 4 points better than WVU. WVU has a 6% chance of winning it all. The Western bracket is the strongest, with a 32% chance of a team from there winning.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2 ... arch-madness-predictions/

scroll down to the complete bracket.

Posted on: 3/18 11:56 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

ncohen wrote:
538 makes Gonzaga the overall favorite with a 2/3s chance of defeating WVU. Interestingly, if WVU survives the Zags, 538 make WVU a (very) slight favorite in each additional round. Sagarin rates Gonzaga # 1 overall, 4 points better than WVU. WVU has a 6% chance of winning it all. The Western bracket is the strongest, with a 32% chance of a team from there winning.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2 ... arch-madness-predictions/

scroll down to the complete bracket.

Not very good, since 538 had Villanova with highest percentage odds at 15% before tourney started to win national title again. The problem with 538's algo is that it only accounts for games played, and if for instance Duke played the Zags schedule, there % would prob. be 30% to win title instead of 8% before tourney started.

Posted on: 3/19 9:21 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Springfield
I feel surprisingly confident in this game. This just feels like the type of game WVU wins, tons of hype and everyone saying how good Gonzaga is. In the past, this is the scenario where West Virginia plays well and focused. The exception being Kentucky 2 years ago, but we were extremely young and Kentucky had an all NBA team so that helps.

Posted on: 3/19 10:19 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Agreed, Kentucky had a team that was vastly superior in talent, I think that year they had a record amount of guys taken in draft. Where as both WVU and Gonzaga have zero.
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

I think talent wise teams are about equal.

Posted on: 3/19 11:03 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
Let's Gooooooo!

Posted on: 3/19 11:10 am

Suspected Punter
As Holgersen often says about football, we have to be good in all 3 aspects of the game. Yes, defense is critical, but equally so, we have to shoot well.
Gonzaga shoots very well and we have to be equally good or the outcome won't be good. Our ball handling was not good enough against ND. Ahmad turned the ball over way too much and passing the ball to the opposition, as he did against ND, will cost us a win.
From a personal perspective, I cannot understand why our "bigs",i.e. Watkins 3' from the basket, do/attempt a layup when they could easily dunk to ball. It's frustrating, because they either get it blocked or miss the layup.

Posted on: 3/19 11:18 am

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
MOUNTAINEERS!

I don't understand why we always put the ball on the floor and pump fake every single time we get the ball on the low post instead of going straight to the basket immediately

Posted on: 3/19 11:21 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Mobile, AL
Has anyone else noticed that our offensive drought always comes somewhere in the second half between the 12min mark to the 5min mark? It seems every time that's the weak spot.

Posted on: 3/19 11:54 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Springfield
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Agreed, Kentucky had a team that was vastly superior in talent, I think that year they had a record amount of guys taken in draft. Where as both WVU and Gonzaga have zero.
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

I think talent wise teams are about equal.

I'm just super pumped we get JC for one more year too. That dude is just super underrated. Here is an interesting list he is near the top of almost guaranteed to be in the top 5 of if he plays 1 more season. http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/c ... rs/stl-player-career.html

Posted on: 3/19 12:28 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Mobile, AL
Fyi, my point is, even though the zags have droughts themselves, ours seem to always be places at a very inopportune time. That, along with the difficulty we've seemed to have with them is a little concerning to me.

Posted on: 3/19 12:28 pm

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
Looking at Gonzaga schedule don't look like they have been in many heavyweight fights, and they didn't play like it against NW.

I feel good.

Posted on: 3/19 12:29 pm

Here for the Beer
From Southern WV
In order to beat Gonzaga we will have to dictate the speed and tempo of the game. Make them play our game. If we let them set up and run their offense we will be in trouble. We will need another big game from Carter or one of guards. As much as I'd like to think we'll go 8/13 from 3 again I'm not sure I see it happening. Hope like hell it does but I'm just being a realist. We've been inconsistent all year. We disrupt and make them feel uncomfortable we will beat them. There is way more pressure on Zaga to beat us than there is for us to beat them. We have nothing to lose. If we can maintain the level of intensity we maintained against Notre Dame who knows how far we can go. I'm sure we can play with or even beat any team in the country.

Posted on: 3/19 12:34 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Didn't see it posted but the game is set for a 7:39 start on TBS on Thursday.

Posted on: 3/20 7:20 am

Here for the Beer
From Ohio
What is WVU's all time record vs. Gonzaga?

Posted on: 3/20 7:52 am

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

oldgold wrote:
What is WVU's all time record vs. Gonzaga?

0-3.

2011-12: 77-54.
2012-13: 84-50.
2013-14: 80-76.

Posted on: 3/20 7:55 am

Here for the Beer
Zags are a huge team, but no true PG. If we can speed up Gonzaga and disrupt their offense, they wont be able to set up and lob the ball into their big guys.

This is critical because we really dont have anyone to defend their big guys on the block....not many teams in the country do.

Another game where if our guards play better than their guards, I think we'll win.
If Macon can score against these guys, it would be a huge plus.

Posted on: 3/20 7:57 am

Pitt Hater
From St. Louis, MO
We need to get that monster center in foul trouble. Guy is a beast

Posted on: 3/20 8:22 am

Pitt Hater
From Jersey Boy in Richmond, VA
Quote:
As Holgersen often says about football, we have to be good in all 3 aspects of the game. Yes, defense is critical, but equally so, we have to shoot well.
Gonzaga shoots very well and we have to be equally good or the outcome won't be good. Our ball handling was not good enough against ND. Ahmad turned the ball over way too much and passing the ball to the opposition, as he did against ND, will cost us a win.

Would add a 4th, halftime adjustments. Huggs said we need to stop fouling in the second half. The team listened and largely kept ND off the line.

Need to keep the WVU against the rest chip throughout

Posted on: 3/20 11:26 am

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved