We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 4 ... 18 »

Getting to know your fellow Mountaineers
WMITC
From Eastern Panhandle, WV
Copy and paste the following questions, to your own post in that thread. (Edited to remove that traitor from one of the questions.)

-How did you become a Mountaineer fan?
-Favorite WVU Sports Moment?
-Most Painful WVU Sports Moment?
-Have you ever actually burned a couch?
-You have to choose between a National Championship in
basketball or football- which one?
-Most hated rival?
-Most embarrassing WVU-related item you've ever purchased?
-Most hardcore drinking moment?
-Favorite game-day tradition?
-If Bob Huggins and Bill Stewart squared off in a duel, who would win?
-Favorite current player, football or basketball?

Posted on: 4/21/2006 9:48 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: “Getting to know your fellow Mountaineers”
WMITC
From Eastern Panhandle, WV
How did you become a Mountaineer fan?
Born in WV, I’ve always had a part of me that rooted for WVU (the first bet I ever made was on WVU to beat Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl in ‘89), but most of my formative years were spent in South Carolina, and without any immediate family that went to WVU, the Mountaineers weren’t a big part of my life until I started actually going to school there. At that point though, I was hooked.

Favorite WVU Sports Moment?
Quincy’s stampede over Miami’s D. No matter how the game turned out, I’ve never been as excited as I was by that play.

Most Painful WVU Sports Moment?
Getting crushed in the Gator Bowl in 2004 against Maryland. It didn’t help that we were sitting in the Maryland section. (By the way, at what point can we get a poll on which team has the biggest assholes for fans? My vote is with Maryland every day of the week.)

Have you ever actually burned a couch?
Yes.

You have to choose between a National Championship in basketball or football- which one?
Football. Basketball would be nice, but I might burn down my own house for a BCS Championship.

Most hated rival?
Probably Marshall (especially now that we don’t play VT anymore). Marshall’s perceived football achievements are the equivalent of the smartest kid in special ed class.

Most embarrassing WVU-related item you’ve ever purchased?
T-shirt that says, “If you ain’t a West Virginia fan, you ain’t shit.” I have no idea of what I was thinking.

Most hardcore drinking moment?
Passed out in the stall of the men’s bathroom at halftime of the Wisconsin game 3 years ago.

Favorite game-day tradition?
Gotta go with hearing “Take Me Home, Country Roads” after wins. My allergies tend to kick up towards the middle after particularly satisfying wins.

If John Beilein and Rich Rodriguez squared off in a dual, who would win?
No one. The earth would collapse upon itself.

Favorite current player, football or basketball?
The Human Photography Problem. (Steve Slaton.)

Posted on: 4/22/2006 4:25 pm

WMITC
From Houston, TX
Hmmm, being in the Navy means you are exposed to a lot of people from WV. Hanging out, befriending and dating them means you get well versed with NASCAR and Mountaineer sports...never ran into a fan of the Herd. When I got into grad school at WVU, it became second nature. (Besides, I have always rooted for the underdogs and for some reason we are always chosen by the critics...)

Sitting in my living room, surrounded by friends wearing black and red, on January 2, 2006. Greg Blue who? (after typing this, realized how bad that sounds--take that however you want to....)

That damn buzzer shot that Texas pulled out of their ass.

Not on purpose. Will have to partake in one before I die--there is an entire couch graveyard along I-5 begging to be set alight here.

Don't mean to be greedy, but can't we have both? OK if we have to choose it would be football.

-Most hated rival?
Well, Virginia Dreck is out of it so it would definitely be Marshall--which made me laugh about our "spy." Taking football tips from Marshall is like taking skiing lessons from Michael Kennedy and Sonny Bono.

-Most embarrassing WVU-related item you’ve ever purchased?
My cats have the Flying WV pendant on their collars. Now that is "ate-up" and embarrassing and needs to be filed under "WTF were you thinking." But hey, everyone in my house gets dressed up for gamedays.

After seven deployments with a land-based squadron, there are too many to list....but I will add that it probably involved either Jager bombs, Irish car bombs, te-kill-ya shots or any beer/whiskey from Thailand (no quality control=unknown alcohol content=fall on yer ass...)

Being a distance student, I have to get to one first...when I finally do, I will let you know. Of course, tailgating is always a great tradition.

-If John Beilein and Rich Rodriguez squared off in a dual, who would win?
I think they would draw, spin and take aim at Huntington...

"The Afterburner" Slaton

Posted on: 4/22/2006 5:08 pm

Suspected Punter
From Parkersburg
How did you become a Mountaineer fan? Lifelong WV native. My Father started taking me to games when I was 7 (1977). We had season tickets thru my senior year of highschool.

Favorite WVU Sports Moment? Beating Va. Tech 2003. Healthy buzz + electric atmosphere = Euphoria. Beating Penn St. 1984 would be up there if I was old enough to drink. I did throw up at that game. Do I get style points for that?

Most Painful WVU Sports Moment? Blocked punt vs Miami 1996.

Have you ever actually burned a couch? No, but I am willing to learn.

You have to choose between a National Championship in basketball or football- which one? Football. Nothing is respected quite like a BCS championship.

Most hated rival? Va. Tech. My dad's best friend is a Va. Tech alumni. I have totally enjoyed every "ha-ha motherfucker" moment in that series.

Most embarrassing WVU-related item you’ve ever purchased? Anything I say here would be a stretch, b/c there is nothing emberassing about WVU.

Most hardcore drinking moment? WVU vs Ohio St. 1998. Drank a 1.5 ltr. bottle of wine in the first qtr. It was the only time i didn't have to apply face paint to get my skin color to match WVU's colors.

Favorite game-day tradition? Everything! Tailgating, the drum corp/band pre-game, bringing on the MOUNTAINEERS!

If John Beilein and Rich Rodriguez squared off in a dual, who would win? In a shocker, Coach Beilein drops some science on Coach Rod by going all Captain Kirk vs. the Lizzard Man and constructing a small cannon out of bamboo, vines, and explosive elements found naturally in the ground. Realizing that there is only one planet, and a shit load of beer to drink, Beilein spares his life.

Favorite current player, football or basketball? On name alone, Johnny Holmes!

Johnny
Mountainlair

Posted on: 4/22/2006 6:31 pm

Suspected Punter
i started liking the mountaineers when my brother started going to school there in the 90's. now im a student there myself and loving it, theres nothing like going to a wvu game.

when tyrone salley dunked the ball at the end of the creighton game in last years tournament to send us to play wf.

i agree with navi8or girl. the texas buzzer beater was easily my worst wvu sports moment.

maybe

definately football

-Most hated rival?
pitt

cant really think of any off the top of my head

way too many

country roads playing after the game

i think rod would bust his head open lol

slaton

Posted on: 4/22/2006 8:19 pm

Here for the Beer

Favorite WVU Sports Moment? Quincy Wilson's historic run against Miami; "Gansey is lethal", Don Nehlen goes out with a bowl win, V Tech 03,04

Most Painful WVU Sports Moment? A few minutes after Quincy's historic run, blocked punt against Miami, Paulino at the buzzer, every single bowl game pretty much

Have you ever actually burned a couch? nope

You have to choose between a National Championship in basketball or football- which one? football

Most hated rival? Pitt

WVU sunglasses that broke 2 minutes after I bought em

Most hardcore drinking moment? Paulino at the buzzer...I tried to drink to forget...didn't work

Favorite game-day tradition? I play the guitar and I always write a song about the other opponent. Hits such as "What's a Wofford?" "Convick" "Cardinal Sin" and my personal favorite "The Friedgan Diet"

If John Beilein and Rich Rodriguez squared off in a dual, who would win? Coach Rod hands down

Favorite current player, football or basketball? right now Steve Slaton

Posted on: 4/22/2006 11:43 pm
&@%!^&$*@

Here for the Beer
From Bridgeport, WV
How did you become a Mountaineer fan? It just so happens that i was concieved during a Mountaineer tailgate party.

Favorite WVU Sports Moment? Seeing that look on the stupid Georgia faithful faces = Priceless

Most Painful WVU Sports Moment? Fourth and forever Kellen Winslow, fourth and forever Larry Fitzgerald, and .8 secs Paulino.

Have you ever actually burned a couch? Yes but it was not game related.

You have to choose between a National Championship in
basketball or football- which one? For me it is football. I consider basketball filler until the next season.

Most hated rival? Well seeing how a lot of the students in my National Guard unit attend Marshall Community College and they claim Marshall could beat us hands down i would have to go with Marshall and of course Shittsburgh.

Most embarrassing WVU-related item you’ve ever purchased? I could never be embarrased about being a fan.

Most hardcore drinking moment? So far my entire military career.

Favorite game-day tradition? Trying to remember the fourth quarter.

If John Beilein and Rich Rodriguez squared off in a dual, who would win? Uhhh...... Wait what are they using????

Favorite current player, football or basketball? Pat White simply for "The Block" I mean c'mon how many other QBs will put themselves out there like that.

Posted on: 4/23/2006 12:17 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
My family is from the WV, I was raised there till I was 12. We take lot of pride in being West Virginians and their is no better way to show it then through WVU. I was hooked when we beat Oklahoma, I didn't know what had happened but dad was really excited. Although no one from my family ever went to WVU.
Beating Penn. St. in 84. It was the only game for some reason me my dad and grandpa were all present for the same game. I was 9 and dad keep telling me how special this win would be and then it happened. Second would be Sugar Bowl, years of bowl frustration all relieved by a fake punt. I cried that night.
89 Fiesta Bowl. That one hurt.
My last year of football in college we beat a rival then later on that night some of the guys were like hey lets burn shit like they do at WVU so we did.
No question, Football.
-Most hated rival?
VT with out a doubt. Being form southern wv we tend to hate vt a little more then most. Back in 83 VT wanted my cuz pretty bad but WVU was not a calling. He told the VT recruiter he would rather go to the Army the go to VT.
Shark tooth style hat. Damn those were ugly.
I drank for 3 days after the 02 VT game. but to many to list
Fire up the grill, crank the WV mix cd to piss off the neighbors, raise the WV flag, take the TV out side then let the whole neighborhood of suckeye fans know whats up.
After playing for coach Rod that one semester at GSC, there is know doubt Rod would kill Coach B.
Can't decide between Pat White or Owen. White brings back great memories of the Major days.

Posted on: 4/23/2006 12:41 pm

I-79 Alumni

Suspected Punter
From Patuxent River, MD
How did you become a Mountaineer fan? Being the 4th generation to have been born and raised in Martinsburg, WV, what else would I be? I grew up listening to the games on the radio or watching them on TV (whenever they were on).

Favorite WVU Sports Moment? So many, it's hard to choose. VT in 2002 & 2003? The win against PSU in 88? The OT victory against Wake Forrest in the NCAA tourney 2 years ago or against Louisville last year in football? I guess my favorite is the Sugar Bowl victory because it just ended with so much excitement and put the SEC in their place.

Most Painful WVU Sports Moment? When they let Miami come back and kick a field goal with 2 minutes left in 2003 to win when we had the game won after the great Quicny Wilson run.

Have you ever actually burned a couch? No. Only been to Morgantown 3 times. Being in the Navy makes it hard to get to games.

You have to choose between a National Championship in basketball or football- which one? Football

Most hated rival? Was VT........now it has to be Louisville.

Nothing........what is there to be embarrassed about?

Most hardcore drinking moment? Probably during won of my deployments while in the Navy. Can't remember.

Favorite game-day tradition? Rolling out the carpet

If John Beilein and Rich Rodriguez squared off in a dual, who would win? Umm...probably Rod......he gets ticked off easier.

Favorite current player, football or basketball? Well now that KP is gone since b-ball season is over, I'd have to say Owen Schmitt. He reminds me of Wes Ours. Just one of those guys that everyone wants to cheer for.

Posted on: 4/23/2006 5:46 pm

Here for the Beer
I'll elaborate on my one of my best and one of my worst moments: the Quincy Wilson run.

You see I was a senior in high school when this game was played. I was always an athlete and while this game was being played I was playing in a soccer game at Preston County. Now if you guys don't know Preston County is where all those scary movies are filmed in other words it is in the middle of nowhere. On the way back home I tried picking up a signal on the radio but it kept going in and out. Well I got a signal long enough to hear Tony Caridi call the infamous play and the whole bus went nuts. I had some Vladimir and koolade I just started chugging. It was so great. The signal went out after that and I just assumed we won. Well we stopped at a gas station on the way back and I asked him what he thought about the win...of course it was then he informed me that we lost. I suffered a broken finger after punching the bus but hell who cares you play soccer with your feet right? ugh. What a night.

Posted on: 4/24/2006 10:17 am
&@%!^&$*@

Noob
From Raleigh, NC

Born to it. I was born in Buckhannon and graduated WVU in 85.

Watching the GA guy with his arms spread and his world rocked.

Getting the shit kicked out of us by MD twice in one year.

No.

You have to choose between a National Championship in basketball or football- which one?

Football

Most hated rival?

Pitt.

Sober= an ugly fucking tshirt.
Drunk= an ugly fucking tshirt.

Purchasing an ugly fucking tshirt.

Getting drunk for breakfast downtown.

Pitt.

Pat White by a punishing fucking block. What a guy. I love them all though.

Posted on: 4/24/2006 3:31 pm

Noob
From Pittsburgh
Starting from my infancy I was rocked to sleep to the fight song. I didn't even know there was another college in WV until I got to high school.

-Favorite WVU Sports Moment? Being at the Sugar Bowl in a sea of Georgia fans at the end of the 4th quarter and seeing the look on their faces.

-Most Painful WVU Sports Moment? Blocked punt by Miami in '96.

-Have you ever actually burned a couch? No, I was always to drunk at the end of games to do anything but pass out.

basketball or football- which one? Football without a doubt.

-Most hated rival? Marshall

-Most embarrassing WVU-related item you’ve ever purchased? Never embarrassed about anything emblazened with the Old Gold and Blue
-Most hardcore drinking moment? Burning Randy Moss in effigy before the Marshall game in 1997.

-Favorite game-day tradition? 8:00 am Jager Bombs

-If John Beilein and Rich Rodriguez squared off in a dual, who would win? Everyone watching.

-Favorite current player, football or basketball? Owen Schmitt

Posted on: 4/24/2006 3:32 pm

Noob
From Washington D.C.
All my friends were because theyre parents went there
beating VT at home, getting pepper sprayed in the meelee that ensued
Losing to PItt two yrs in Pittsburgh, the temp and wind chill were below zero and my seats sucked
No comment, I've "witnessed a few couch burning/riotess behavior in my ungrad yrs;)
Football
VT
Nothing WV is embarrasing
Winning case race in 48 minutes and projectile vomiting 32 feet onto the Chi Ho's house
Singing Country roads or that Morgantown rocky top song
Draw
Grant Wiley

Posted on: 4/24/2006 7:43 pm

Here for the Beer
From Bridgeport, WV
"If John Beilein and Rich Rodriguez squared off in a dual, who would win?

Pitt."

Good point Sir

Posted on: 4/24/2006 11:23 pm

Here for the Beer
From Bridgeport, WV
"I was playing in a soccer game at Preston County. Now if you guys don't know Preston County is where all those scary movies are filmed in other words it is in the middle of nowhere."

I work at Camp Dawson up in Kingwood and I agree.

When we had all of the displaced Americans from Katrina you should have seen the look on their faces when they realized they were flown and bussed in the dark to the middle of nowhere.

Posted on: 4/24/2006 11:27 pm

Here for the Beer
Pitt would definitely win if Beilein and Rod got in a fight.

Posted on: 4/25/2006 1:05 pm
&@%!^&$*@

Noob
From Fairmont wv
wv bored and raised! Goin to the games

QUINCY WILSON pounding that Miami guy

Fiesta Bowl loss to ND

No but ive watched

FOOTBALL

Most hated rival?
PITT

UM

takin multiple bongs with natty and jack in em, and havin season tickets in 05 and only makin it past half time one time

Tailgates
Rod

WHITE

Have fun with this folks. Oh i did

Posted on: 4/25/2006 10:12 pm

Here for the Beer
From Mount Hope

Born and raised in West BY GOD Virginia! Attended WVU in the early 90's.

Slaton ripping past Greg BLEW for 52 yards (either time) in the 06 Sugar Bowl

Watching Major Harris getting hurt in the 89 Fiesta Bowl. Probably cost us a NC.

Oh hell yeah!

Football, Basketball is just something to watch until spring practices.

-Most hated rival?

Hands down its got to be sPITT. Anybody remember the T shirts that said "Penn State sucks but Pitt Swallows", or "The Hurricanes blow and Pitt still swallows"?

I'm not embarrassed about shit!

Don't remember much about it, happened somewhere on Wiley Street sometime in '94.

Country Roads take me home
to the place I belong
West Virginia Mountain Momma
Take me home country roads

Beilein is a merc, he's a bitch. Rodriguez doesn't fight bitches, he just smacks them.

Slaton is a beast, White is a great leader, but Owen Schmitt personifies everything great about Mountaineer football.

Posted on: 4/26/2006 1:16 pm

Noob
I was born a Mountaineer fan.

-Favorite WVU Sports Moment? Toss up: The fake punt, West's 3-pointer in tourney, or "perfect"

-Most Painful WVU Sports Moment? The blocked punt.

-Have you ever actually burned a couch? No, but I have one on reserve.

basketball or football- which one? oh - so unfair. Football.

-Most hated rival? Pitt - although I'm not over the brawl with Syracuse.

-Most embarrassing WVU-related item you’ve ever purchased? What? No way.

-Most hardcore drinking moment? WVU vs Pitt 1989. Not pretty.

-Favorite game-day tradition? Drinking Captains/tailgating

-If John Beilein and Rich Rodriguez squared off in a dual, who would win? Coach Rod would kick his ass

-Favorite current player, football or basketball? Schmidt. Definitely.

Posted on: 4/26/2006 2:14 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From MoTown

I was born and raised in Fairmont. I had no choice. Not that I would ever want it any other way.

When the Mounties put themselves on the map for real this past Sugar Bowl.

When we lost to Miami on a blocked punt late in the fourth quarter, early 90s.

No, but I have burned a table.

Football, no doubt.

-Most hated rival?

Pitt eats it.

Fuzzy Mountaineer mirror dice for my car.

Puking off a Grant St. porch in front of thousands after WVU's victory over Texas Tech last year in the NCAA tourney.

Slappin' on my Grant Wiley jersey and getting to the Pit.

Rich Rodriguez is from Marion County. John Beilein is frail. Coach Rod would go late-80s, pre-Buster Douglas/rape case Mike Tyson on Beilein.

The Electrifying Steve Slaton.

Posted on: 4/27/2006 4:29 pm

(1) 2 3 4 ... 18 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved