We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 4 ... 59 »

the nascar thread

From Alkol, Lincoln County
trying to keep this an open discussion and different from the fantasy thread..

random thoughts..

david ragan, #6, is probably one of the drivers who are getting way too much love. all i ever hear is 'david is going to be real good in this race, he'll win one this year' or whatever. and he's not had that many-if any-top 5's.

joey logano, #20, talk about a guy more wreckless than kyle busch and juan montoya. he got WAY to much cred from winning all those lower divisions. seriously.. he had gibbs support. that would be like having a million dollar budget for a single A football private high school team.

scott speed, #82, talk about media love interest. A, this guy needs a new hat. B, he's been a victim of other people's wrecklessness..but he shouldn't be in a cup ride so soon.

stewart-haas racing, if they can stop wrecking cars.. they might be competitive.

jamie mcmurray, #26, is not a good driver. the media can hop up and down on his bandwagon all they want to.

a lot of mergers.. evernham/gilette with petty, ganassi with dei/who already had merged with ginn racing last year.. lots of driver/car/sponsor changes..

DAYTONA IS TOMORROW

Posted on: 2/14/2009 12:06 pm

Re: the nascar thread
Makin' it Rain
From North Carolina now, but WV born and bred
Agree with all your points, Marty!

More random thoughts: I'm a Junior fan. My second fav driver is Smoke. It's going to be weird not seeing him in the 20. I can't stand Kyle Busch and Carl Edwards is about as fake as a person can get--all smiles like Mr. Ed whens he's winning and crazy as hell mean when he loses.

Posted on: 2/14/2009 12:40 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

WMITC
From Here
NASCAR is the antichrist.

Posted on: 2/14/2009 1:23 pm

Suspected Punter
From Beverly, OH..via Doddridge County
Quote:

msaul37 wrote:
trying to keep this an open discussion and different from the fantasy thread..

random thoughts..

david ragan, #6, is probably one of the drivers who are getting way too much love. all i ever hear is 'david is going to be real good in this race, he'll win one this year' or whatever. and he's not had that many-if any-top 5's.

DAYTONA IS TOMORROW

Gotta disagree with the David Ragan diagnosis...I think he will be one of Nascar's best....I'd have to consult last year's stats, but he seemed to place in the top 10 on a regular basis in my race pool last year.
...counting 8 top 10's and 5 top 5's....

Daytona...can I get a HELL YEAH???

Posted on: 2/14/2009 1:50 pm

Open in new window

it just seems to me as soon as i hear 'david ragan is going to break out', he hits the wall or blows an engine.

also, new worse driver award--nationwide series edition--

jason leffler. horrible in cup, in trucks, and still has a ride in nationwide? wtf? cut his mohawk. take away his drivers card before he kills someone.

steven wallace. i'll give him a mulligan or two because he does get the crap end of the stick.. but that kid wrecks or has trouble in about every race he's in. i wonder if his poppa, mr. ru$ty wallace has it in him to fire his boy. also, will someone teach the kid how to blink? seriously.

Posted on: 2/14/2009 6:17 pm

Suspected Punter
From Morgantown, WV
Gotta agree with the Leffler point..dont know how he's kept that 38 ride in the NW series for so long. He's had like 3 mediocre seasons with a bunch of torn up racecars.

Posted on: 2/15/2009 1:02 pm

it's hilarious.. these owners are being talked into signing young guns from sponsors.. instead of the old guys. no matter how good the old guys are and how bad the youngins are.. the sponsors are ruining nascar.

also, i HATE that 'lets go racin boys' song for nascar.

also, also, is it just me, or is fox overhyping digger? i mean seriously. keith urban singing it's theme song? a comic book? shirts? a little cartoon? stuffed animals?! IT'S NOT NEEDED!

Posted on: 2/15/2009 3:21 pm

Suspected Punter
From Princeton,WV
i havent watched any of the pre-race coverage...but i can't wait for them to drop the green flag!!! LET'S GO RACIN!!!!

Posted on: 2/15/2009 3:41 pm

Makin' it Rain
From North Carolina now, but WV born and bred
Do y'all think NASCAR is going to be able to finish this race? I'd like to see a full race, but if Kenseth wins it I'm cool with that. He's a good driver, not flashy, mouthy, etc., just a good, solid driver.

Posted on: 2/15/2009 6:44 pm

Suspected Punter
From Princeton,WV
i would hate to see the race end like this but as a kenseth fan i cant help but say COME ON RAIN!!!!! GO KENSETH!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2/15/2009 6:44 pm

Suspected Punter
From Princeton,WV
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! GO KENSETH!!!!!!!!! HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2/15/2009 6:57 pm

it's nice he won, but again.. nascar is playing god with the races. want to take jr out from contention? throw a phantom penalty..it looked like there was black between the tire and the white line..from my non-hd tv view, anyway. and even if it was on the line, from what i've learned the past 10+ years of watching nascar as long as the tire was inside the box it was okay-no word ever of 'it being on the line is illegal'. also, take the 'nascar declares kenseth winner' line and analyze it. he shouldn't be declared the winner. let them decide it monday morning if need be. nascar is so concerned with fitting the time slot for tv, they called it. that's all. it's the daytona 500. not the 380. one rule i wish they would change is 'halfway marks an official race'. they should at least have half the distance of the race in GREEN laps, not total. so if you have 25 caution laps of a race, and it's a 200 lap race.. lap 126 would mark an official race... if you understand what i'm saying. not that it would've mattered today, but still.

this brings me to a totally random point, if the race started at 1pm like it did before the 'new nascar' took over, then we would have had a legitimate race. but instead, we get a rain shortened version. they're too worried about the west coast not being able to get up at 10 in the morning and watch the "SUPER BOWL OF NASCAR"--which in case you missed it, the fox guys preached and preached to you.

but onto the wreck. brian vickers and jr have some bad blood between them. i have no idea why. this is the 3rd time it's happened, at least. last time, it was vickers wrecking johnson, which in turned wrecked jr.. and vickers won the race in 06 at talladega. today, brian vickers came down, forced jr below the yellow line, and jr came up. jr clipped vickers when jr came back up in 'bounds'. i hate how fox was blaming jr 100% for the wreck. they clearly are talking from their asses and weren't watching the race. it was both of their faults. simple as that. vickers shouldn't have blocked and forced jr below the line, and jr could have waited 3 seconds to get back in bounds. but this is the daytona 500 with rain in the area. it's like 10 to go... but instead for just 10 laps to go, it started after halfway. it was going to happen.

and, in case you missed it, the 'next dale earnhardt', the 'best driver', the 'most exciting', 'rowdy', 'race dominator'... didn't win. funny too, after blocking the field for however long he did, got took out from someone else's blocking .

but i digress.

Posted on: 2/15/2009 7:51 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
Marty you and I watched a different race. JR didn't get pushed below the line his sorry no talent ass drove below the line. Kyle didn't block the field the entire time he was just faster. I'm glad to see JR still driving hard though, all be it one lap down. Way to go numb nuts.

Posted on: 2/15/2009 10:47 pm

I-79 Alumni

nah, it's very obvious to anyone to see that vickers blocked jr. vickers went down to the yellow line to keep jr behind him. jr made a move to get below vickers, and vickers turned left to keep him behind. but while doing that, he knocked jr to the edge of the track/grass. jr had to get back on track. the only thing you can hold jr for is trying to 'merge' too soon. wait 3 seconds, he'll be fine. no wreck. but equal blame all around, as i said before.

now as to little kylie. that's all he did was block. any time anyone came near him, he would zig and zag. i'm surprised he didn't wad up a few cars himself. one of the reasons he stayed up front was because there's simply no need to be agressive that stage in the race. it also helped kylie keep the lead because his teammate denny hamlin wasn't helping anyone to get by the 18. any time denny was 3rd and anyone else was second, you would see a big gap between them. why? so no one could pass little kylie, of course. but they did. kylie led 88 laps, i'll give him that. but if you think he had the best car... wow. just because you're first, doesn't always mean you're the best or fastest. was elliott sadler the best when he led? was matt kenseth when he led?.. i rest my case.

Posted on: 2/16/2009 7:27 am

Party Machine
From Teays Valley, WV
The wreck was Jrs. fault, end of story. he is a no talnet worthless piece of crap. If his last name wasnt Earnhardt he would be in the Nationwide series. And with all the faults you can find with NASCAR and the coverage why dont you just turn it off and do something else with your time. By the way, who is your driver? I think I know by the sound of things, but tell me anyway.

Posted on: 2/16/2009 9:15 am

why yes my driver is jr. and no, he's not a 'no talnet worthless piece of crap'. if he was, he would have no wins, no chase appearances, little to no top 5s or 10s.. anyway. it wasn't jr's fault. if you are not a jr fan/hate him then you see it as his fault. if you are a jr fan then it wasn't his fault. but i try to come up with a more realistic reason-both drivers' faults. vickers blocked too late, jr came back on track too late.

Posted on: 2/16/2009 3:14 pm

Pitt Hater
From Morgantown, WV
I was at a Martinsville race 4 or 5 years ago...if you watched it or you were there, Jr had no front end, sent to the back twice, and finished 4th. If you know jack about racing, you know that this is impossible on a short track without some prodigal skill. Jr is an excellent driver.

NASCAR is doing everything they can to ruin racing...I just dont get it. It was awesome 3-4 years ago, then they started messin with it...just like the mechanic says, "If it aint broke, dont fix it"

Posted on: 2/16/2009 4:01 pm

--Richard Petty

Party Machine
Jr. is a second-tier driver, along the lines of Matt Kenseth, Clint Bowyer and Greg Biffle. No way you group him in with the first tier such as Stewart, Johnson and Gordon. He's won races and has finished third in the points but hasn't done anything on the track to justify his massive popularity. Given their shorter tenure in the Sprint Cup Series you can make a valid argument that Carl Edwards and Kyle Busch are the better talents.

The wreck was Jrs fault although none of his fans will ever admit to it. Blocking is a part of restrictor plate racing; even Jr does it. All he had to do was let up and get back in line. He does that and he loses 10 spots but keeps from wrecking 10 cars. He had a moment of stupidity when he asked why Vickers was racing him so hard - could it have been the lucky dog?

The only thing I'll say about the race yesterday was that I was suprised they were so quick to call it.

Posted on: 2/16/2009 5:03 pm

Pitt Hater
From Morgantown, WV

Kenseth is all car and crew cheif. He is not driving, he's following the boss's orders.

Clint Bowyer? WHO?

Greg Biffle...maybe.

Jimmy Johnson...THE GUY THAT CHEATS ALL THE TIME?

Jeff Gordon...HAS-BEEN

Stewart...I'll give you that. I think he's the best driver on the track, and Carl Edwards is looking to inherit the throne (love me some Cousin Carl...er...in a completely heter-"o" way).

But Junior is a great driver, people just dont like him becuase of who he is--he bumped Vickers out of frustration, but he definitely got forced off the track.

In regards to the race, I was pissed at first that they called it and that's how Kenseth won. However, keep in mind that all the crew cheifs had the same access to the weather data and knew the race could potentially get called, giving everybody the same opportunity to win.

Posted on: 2/16/2009 5:50 pm

Party Machine
Kenseth's stats are almost identical to Jrs. Oh wait...Matt has a championship and has been nothing if not more consistent. He's never missed a Chase. Oh, and he's done it with three crew chiefs. As for following the boss's orders? Jr has one of the best bosses in the business - what's his excuse? The fact you say anyone could win a championship simply by driving a good car and following orders is laughable.

The only one you might be able to take issue with is Bowyer. Give him a few years to put together a body of work and we'll compare apples to apples. By the time he puts 6-7 years in I would bet his stats will be comparable to Jrs.

Jimmie's, Jeff's and Stewart's stats speak for themselves.

Yeah, Jr got forced under the yellow line like many others over the weekend, and he should have done what everyone else did - let up and merge back in.

I don't hate on Jr, I just get disgusted with some of his fans who think he can do no wrong. Junior is not a great driver - his dad was a great driver. Junior is a competent-to-good driver. Even DW mentioned yesterday he better get the job done this year because the window is closing.

Posted on: 2/16/2009 6:52 pm

(1) 2 3 4 ... 59 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved