We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 (2)

Re: Florida
Pitt Hater
From far from mo-town
big hits aren't everything. making one play doesn't make you good.

Posted on: 6/24/2008 2:22 pm

Here for the Beer
From Winston-Salem, NC/Morgantown
Quote:

strat54 wrote:
big hits aren't everything. making one play doesn't make you good.

He did a solid job this past spring game also. And I also believe it's safe to say that Strat is the ultimate pessimist.

Posted on: 6/24/2008 2:27 pm

Pitt Hater
From far from mo-town
i know. amd i'll continue to advance my pessimist veiws. offense in the spring game wasn't exactly great.

i'm not saying the defense won't be good. i'm just saying they're unproven. no one know what's to com this season.

Posted on: 6/24/2008 4:50 pm

Pitt Hater
From Lovetron
Last year was our best D in years and it didn't get us our NC. I think that is what most "experts" are saying. For how good our offense is we still need to shut teams down.

One or two more stops on 3rd down against Pitt we have our NC. I think a lot of teams are going to try to play ball control and limit Pat Whites touches. Our D didn't give up points but it did get pushed around at times.

Posted on: 6/24/2008 6:30 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Here for the Beer
From Winston-Salem, NC/Morgantown
It wasn't the defense that cost us a shot at the NC though. They played their asses off in that Pitt game, just couldnt get any help from our offense.

Posted on: 6/25/2008 1:26 am

Here for the Beer
From Evans, WV
Our defense was supposed to suck last year too. all the preseason talk about us was if they could only muster some decent defense. As for pass rush two words TEVITA FINAU, I even like the name, although I can't spell it. If He can do half of what I saw on the films we will have a pass rush. I hope JT Thomas keeps his A$$ out of trouble I loved what I saw in the fiesta bowl from him. One thing is for sure some people will be surprised, because I expect them to be better. obviously some feel the opposite.

Posted on: 6/25/2008 3:36 pm

Pitt Hater
From Harrisburg, PA
one thing to note here. Having a team not look very good in a spring game is not indicative of how that team will play during the year. Like it or not, the spring 'game' is simply a practice with a lot of people watching. When one runs a practice, you tend to work on things you need to improve upon. Yes, the offense wasn't all that crisp, but they were working with a new offense and chances are the coaching staff was trying to improve the team by working out kinks and problems on both sides of the ball. The style of the practice is a bit misleading too...i remember several times Pat was 'tackled (touched)' on a play it looked like he had the endzone. Pat's rushing ability and elusiveness is a HUGE part of our offense.

We also had a lot of guys across both lines that weren't playing due to injury and you can't get a very good read on a team based on the play of backups. That isn't even taking into account the players that are coming or have come in since then. Let's give the O and D a chance before we begin to spell doom and gloom. The spring game can't be used to show deficiencies on the team because it isn't the team that will take the field in the fall.

The only thing we can take from the spring game is an understanding of what the offensive and defensive schemes will be.

Posted on: 6/26/2008 12:00 pm

Makin' it Rain
I watched the florida spring game and they had a guy...i can't remember his name on the D that rocked. They also had a QB that was like 6-8. Florida seems like the real deal this yr...I really hate saying that.

Posted on: 6/26/2008 3:12 pm

Pitt Hater
From Lovetron
Our offense did move the ball against Pitt we miss some FG and gave up good field position. But we let McCoy grind out first down and kill clock. Hell we all know White, Devine, Slaton, Reynard can take it to the house anywhere on the field. One or two more possessions and we might have won.
I'm not saying our D sucked but it's a know fact Rod took the most skilled athletes and put them on offense. So our D does have holes. Yea Yea I know they where great against OU but they weren't great all year. They were soild and we did give up first half point to hungington community college and that should have never happened!

Posted on: 6/28/2008 12:01 am

Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg. WV
I have to come to the defense of the defense here. Let me preface this by saying that I have not been a fan of the 3-3-5 since D-Rod got here. From 2001 to 2006 we made less sacks than Canute Curtis did by himself (slight exaggeration but not much). However, 2007 was an extraordinary defense and I am (optimistically) waiting to see if it was a fluke OR if I was wrong about the 3-3-5

In 2007, we ended up in the Top 20 in all four major defensive categories [scoring D = 8th, rushing D = 18th, passing D = 14th, and Total D = 7th]. There were only about 3 other schools that could make that boast (and one of them was Ohio State which padded their defensive statistics with a very weak Big 10 conference, Akron, Washington and Youngstown St)

Were there times that the defense gave up points they shouldn't have (Marshall) or failed to make stops that could have helped us (McCoy)? of course. But no defense plays mistake-free for an entire season

And Pat's two missed field goals weren't to blame for the loss either (although had he made them, we likely would have an NC right now). We should never have even been in the position to lose that game. Pitt was horrible last year and Wannstadt is an idiot as a coach. Our loss falls squarely on D-Rod and being completely outcoached (by an idiot). Hopefully, his unwillingness to take any blame for it won't change his attitude and he'll continue to blame everybody else for multiple losses to OSU, Wisconsin, PSU, Purdue, maybe even another I-AA team (we can only hope)

Posted on: 6/28/2008 6:11 am

Here for the Beer
From Crab Orchard (near Beckley)
I believe our LB's will be much stronger this year than last year with Reed (hopefully healed), Lazear, Ivy, and JT. Plus Najae Goode looked like a stud in the spring game.

I am not too worried about the DB's even though Mundy and Wicks are difficult to replace. We will have Andrews, Boogie Allen, Guesly Dervil, Lankster and Sowers who have some experience, plus Bowser from JC. I don't see as much of a drop off here as most do.

The key is replacing Dingle and Dykes. If you have no pass rush, you have no pass defense and if you can't stop the run with your D-line, you are in severe trouble.

I agree that Scooter Berry appears to be ready to clog up the middle and am hopeful about Finau.

We have some great coaches though, so that eases my mind a little.

Posted on: 6/28/2008 11:50 am

Pitt Hater
From far from mo-town
finau might be the most important part of the defense this season.

Posted on: 6/28/2008 6:52 pm

Pitt Hater
From Cary, NC
Bowser is out for the year with an ACL knee injury. I'm hoping Sands, our 6'6" safety comes through! Talk about freaks!

Posted on: 6/28/2008 7:21 pm

The Marine shrugged and replied, 'A slight recoil.'

« 1 (2)

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved